remove xltxtra package?

Alex Jordan

Jul 7, 2024, 7:52:10 PMJul 7
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Would there be harm in stopping how we laid the xltxtra package? Currently we load it if you are running xelatex. The package loads:
* fontspec (which we already load if you are using xelatex)
* realscripts (which we could load directly)
* metalogo (which we could load directly)
* makes \vfrac for vulgar fractions, which we do not seem to use
* makes \namedglyph, which we do not seem to use
* redefines \showhyphens, which we do not seem to use

Am I missing something about this package? Or do we actually use things that I listed as not being used?

I would like to remove it, because I am investigating using mathspec instead of fontspec, to get unicode characters in math content. (All under a xelatex situation.) Since we load fontspec explicitly, loading it "secretly" with xsltxtra causes problems with some package option clashing.

Rob Beezer

Jul 7, 2024, 10:37:00 PMJul 7
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Can't look right now. Aren't there code comments in the vicinity in the XSL?

I seem to think there were some smaller tweaks, not just a bunch of package loading.

Alex Jordan

Jul 7, 2024, 11:08:30 PMJul 7
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I don't see any explanatory comments in the vicinity. Just:
<xsl:text>%% begin: xelatex and lualatex-specific default configuration&#xa;</xsl:text>
<xsl:text>\ifxetex\usepackage{xltxtra}\fi&#xa;</xsl:text>
<xsl:text>%% realscripts is the only part of xltxtra relevant to lualatex &#xa;</xsl:text>
<xsl:text>\ifluatex\usepackage{realscripts}\fi&#xa;</xsl:text>
<xsl:text>%% end: xelatex and lualatex-specific default configuration&#xa;</xsl:text>

Three packages loaded (some of which themselves redefine things, so maybe those are the smaller tweaks you remember. And then the last three bullets from my first message are added. That's all I can see from its documentation, including a review of its actual code laid out at the end of the documentation. Certainly possible I'm missing things though, wouldn't be the first time.

Rob Beezer

Jul 8, 2024, 5:25:35 PMJul 8
to prete...@googlegroups.com
CTAN (https://ctan.org/pkg/xltxtra?lang=en) says:

> This package was previously used to provide a number of features that were
useful for typesetting documents with XeLaTeX. Many of those features have now
been incorporated into the fontspec package and other packages, but the package
persists for backwards compatibility

I remember it has having a bunch of little fixes and add-ons not yet in
mainstream XeLaTeX. Sounds like that has changed.

Have you tested trashing it? Does MathJax provide "\vfrac"? (If not, then it
shouldn't be in PreTeXt source.) Thought on realscripts, \showhypens, \namedglyphs?

On 7/7/24 20:08, Alex Jordan wrote:
> I don't see any explanatory comments in the vicinity. Just:
> <xsl:text>%% begin: xelatex and lualatex-specific default
> configuration&#xa;</xsl:text>
> <xsl:text>\ifxetex\usepackage{xltxtra}\fi&#xa;</xsl:text>
> <xsl:text>%% realscripts is the only part of xltxtra relevant to lualatex
> &#xa;</xsl:text>
> <xsl:text>\ifluatex\usepackage{realscripts}\fi&#xa;</xsl:text>
> <xsl:text>%% end: xelatex and lualatex-specific default
> configuration&#xa;</xsl:text>
>
> Three packages loaded (some of which themselves redefine things, so maybe those
> are the smaller tweaks you remember. And then the last three bullets from my
> first message are added. That's all I can see from its documentation, including
> a review of its actual code laid out at the end of the documentation. Certainly
> possible I'm missing things though, wouldn't be the first time.
>

> On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 7:37 PM 'Rob Beezer' via PreTeXt development
> <prete...@googlegroups.com <mailto:prete...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Can't look right now.  Aren't there code comments in the vicinity in the XSL?
>
> I seem to think there were some smaller tweaks, not just a bunch of package
>
> On July 7, 2024 4:51:58 PM PDT, Alex Jordan <jordanc...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jordanc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >Would there be harm in stopping how we laid the xltxtra package? Currently
> >we load it if you are running xelatex. The package loads:
> >* fontspec (which we already load if you are using xelatex)
> >* realscripts (which we could load directly)
> >* metalogo (which we could load directly)
> >* makes \vfrac for vulgar fractions, which we do not seem to use
> >* makes \namedglyph, which we do not seem to use
> >* redefines \showhyphens, which we do not seem to use
> >
> >Am I missing something about this package? Or do we actually use things
> >that I listed as not being used?
> >
> >I would like to remove it, because I am investigating using mathspec
> >instead of fontspec, to get unicode characters in math content. (All under
> >a xelatex situation.) Since we load fontspec explicitly, loading it
> >"secretly" with xsltxtra causes problems with some package option clashing.
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/MTAwMDAyMy5iZWV6ZXI.1720406218%40quikprotect <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/MTAwMDAyMy5iZWV6ZXI.1720406218%40quikprotect>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CA%2BR-jrdCE_tAmV3HBL%3DNbh5W2frZn4OjtG2Ct9nLirMbNwozxA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CA%2BR-jrdCE_tAmV3HBL%3DNbh5W2frZn4OjtG2Ct9nLirMbNwozxA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Jordan

Jul 8, 2024, 7:50:07 PMJul 8
to prete...@googlegroups.com
> Have you tested trashing it?
I have it removed from a branch where I am using mathspec and xelatex to build ORCCA. Its absence has not been missed.

> Does MathJax provide "\vfrac"? (If not, then it shouldn't be in PreTeXt source.)
It seems no. At least not by default.

> Thought on realscripts, \showhypens, \namedglyphs?
The latter two are commands not used by pretext-latex.xsl. And "realscripts" (afaict) redefine macros that are not used by PTX, and makes some new macros that are also not used by PTX. So this would only be missed by people using those macros somewhere in their preamble.late. In which case they can load this there. (Although possibly not if my experiments with mathspec are successful in the end, because of package clashing.)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/MTAwMDAyMC5iZWV6ZXI.1720473933%40quikprotect.

Rob Beezer

Jul 8, 2024, 11:03:07 PMJul 8
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Much effort has gone into understanding fontspec, so I'll be interested to learn more about mathspec.

Alex Jordan

Jul 10, 2024, 8:49:52 PM (13 days ago) Jul 10
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I realized that this connects to another recent post of mine, titled "policy for LaTeX version". If we are trying to support old LaTeX versions, and the older xltxtra does more significant things, then we can't remove it.