DIY Runestone setup

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 8, 2023, 12:08:11 PM2/8/23
to PreTeXt development
This might technically be a support question but it's mostly for Brad and I'm not sure if he checks -support.

I have a fresh VM (with Ubuntu 22.04) waiting for me to install Runestone on it.

I'm wondering if it would be a useful exercise to do this at one of the drop-in meetings, with Brad present, as a means of testing the current documentation.
I figure that if I can follow the instructions at
and get everything working, that's a good sign that the documentation is solid.

(Good documentation = even Sean can do it.)

I should be able to attend drop-in on Friday from about 1:30 pm MST (12:30 PST, 2:30 CST).

Jones, Bryan

Feb 8, 2023, 2:28:05 PM2/8/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I know that following the instructions for a production build will fail, but haven't had the bandwidth to debug this yet...

Bryan

Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762
http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones
bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
voice 662-325-3149
fax 662-325-2298

Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
High King, High God.
- 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 8, 2023, 2:36:04 PM2/8/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I'm willing to be a volunteer tester on this, if that helps.

I installed Runestone on my laptop in the summer, and managed to get as far as building a PreTeXt book, but I think at the time I might have had to use the development build, and there was a problem with the library database.
I believe the latter issue has been addressed.

Jones, Bryan

Feb 8, 2023, 8:39:44 PM2/8/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

I appreciate the offer, and will take you up on it after I at least get the existing procedure working again.

Bryan

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 8, 2023, 8:54:15 PM2/8/23
to PreTeXt development
Ok, sounds good.

This is in my interest as well: I am hoping to have a functioning Runestone server by the Fall.

Jones, Bryan

Mar 2, 2023, 11:56:36 AM3/2/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Sean (and anyone else willing to help),

Brad and I got the Runestone server build up and running, plus got unit tests passing again. It should work... :)

Would you mind following the instructions at https://runestoneserver.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docker/README.html? You want the production use case. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Bryan

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 2, 2023, 3:31:28 PM3/2/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Bryan: will you be at drop-in tomorrow?
If so, I could work through this with you then. (And prior to that I will be too busy to try it first on my own.)

I will miss the first hour of drop-in because I have to pick up my kids from school (which ends early on Friday) and drop them off at an after-school program.
But I should be there from 2 -3 pm MST (1 - 2 PST, 3 - 4 CST...)

Jones, Bryan

Mar 2, 2023, 4:10:44 PM3/2/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

I'll be there starting at 2:00 PM MST, but have a meeting starting at 2:30 MST.

Bryan

Brad Miller

Mar 2, 2023, 4:21:44 PM3/2/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com, Jones, Bryan
Sean,

I will be there -- I will miss a bit of the first hour as well.

But, having just gone through this successfully I think we can get you up and running fairly quickly.

Brad

Bradley Miller, PhD
Professor Emeritus Computer Science
Luther College

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 2, 2023, 5:05:05 PM3/2/23
to PreTeXt development
OK. I might be able to make it closer to 1:30 pm (half an hour in).
I'll join as soon as I'm able.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 7, 2023, 5:06:59 PM3/7/23
to PreTeXt development
I have one follow-up question:

Looking at the documentation for the docker-compose.yml file, I see that there's a 'restart: always' line.
Do I understand correctly that given the prerequisites:
1. The docker daemon loads on boot (with systemctl I think this is docker.service and containerd.service)
2. Runestone has been started using docker compose up -d
if I need to reboot the server (e.g. for a kernel upgrade), Runestone will restart automatically?

Or is there an extra step?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 7, 2023, 6:49:43 PM3/7/23
to PreTeXt development
At the moment this is moot: there is still something weird with permissions on my setup.

Despite having done 'sudo systemctl enable docker.service', docker does not start on boot.
This is weird, because I can do 'sudo systemctl start docker' as soon as the system boots, and it runs just fine.

I'm going to see if I can get my VM rebuilt withut using LDAP.
If not, is there any reason why I could not skip using the bootstrap script, and instead install docker from the Ubuntu repositories?

Jones, Bryan

Mar 8, 2023, 10:18:47 AM3/8/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

That should be fine. To do so, simply replace the commands on line 267 of docker_tools.py with something like sudo apt install -y docker.

Bryan

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 8, 2023, 3:05:00 PM3/8/23
to PreTeXt development
Looks like our problem was a timing issue: docker comes too soon in the systemd boot sequence, so starting the service ran into a dependency error.
Replacing docker.service with a docker.timer that forces a 60 second wait time fixes the problem.

Now I am running into issues with getting the runestone server to start back up again after reboot.
It seems like one of the components didn't shut down correctly (due to "active connections") and this prevented it from restarting.
I'll see what I can figure out.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 8, 2023, 5:04:26 PM3/8/23
to PreTeXt development
Looks like all is well now. My only remaining problem is that I did a dumb thing and rebuilt my book with a different name, and I don't know how to get rid of the old library entry

Brad Miller

Mar 9, 2023, 7:54:27 PM3/9/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Until someone writes a removecourse command for rsmanage, you will need some SQL :-).   We can take care of it during drop-in.

Brad

Bradley Miller, PhD
Professor Emeritus Computer Science
Luther College