Workshop July 10-14 to build software engineering skills for non-CS experts

Steven Clontz

Mar 23, 2023, 10:47:57 AM3/23/23
to PreTeXt development
Colleagues,

I recently connected with Jeff Carver to discuss his workshop https://intersect-training.org/bootcamp23/ to be held at Princeton University this July 10-14. The bootcamp is primarily geared towards those who self-identify as intermediate research software developers with backgrounds in a research domain other than computer science. The ideal participants are those who, after some hands-on experience writing code, are looking for more software development training to either prepare them for a career writing research software or to be a more efficient developer.

The bootcamp will focus on the following topics:
  • Software Design
  • Working Collaboratively (including intermediate/advanced git, code review, licensing, documentation)
  • Testing
  • CI/CD
  • Packaging & Distribution
The event is tailored towards preparing future "research software engineers", so applicants should consider how their future work will benefit future research software. As you know, PreTeXt and Runestone are dependencies for several educational research projects, so I believe this is a good fit for our community. If you'd like to apply, please feel free to reach out to me, and I can help you prepare an application that I think would be competitive. (Even if you don't want my help, I would like to know if anyone from the community applies.)

-Steven

PS: I learned about this opporutnity by getting involved in https://us-rse.org/, a free professional organization for research software engineers, which many of you may be interested in connecting with as well.