syllabus template

Alex Jordan

Mar 28, 2023, 1:28:32 AM3/28/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I made this for local colleagues:
https://github.com/Alex-Jordan/PTXsyllabus

It is PCC-specific in many places, so I'm not sure about contributing
it to the PreTeXt repo the way it is now. I could make it general
purpose, but it would be low on my list to clean it up for that.

Is anyone interested in doing that cleanup and/or adding features?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 28, 2023, 8:48:54 AM3/28/23
to PreTeXt development
Since I don't think there's such a thing as a one-size-fits-all syllabus, I'm wondering if it would be equally useful to have a set of PreTeXt syllabus examples that instructors could view, along with source.

I'd be willing to contribute some examples to such a collection.

Oscar Levin

Mar 28, 2023, 12:05:37 PM3/28/23
to PreTeXt development
I'm really interested in developing a whole course template.  If we can collect some good examples, then we can provide a `pretext new course` that has good structure already, and is suitably customizable to meet most people's needs.

Which is my way of saying that I would be interested in doing the next step(s) in this.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 28, 2023, 6:15:17 PM3/28/23
to PreTeXt development
Now that has me wondering if one could wire that template up to some sort of script:

- input PreTeXt book
- input a CSV that maps book sections to dates (either read-by or in-class or both), plus assignment dates, etc
- input grading scheme
- other stuff I'm forgetting
- go

Alex Jordan

Mar 28, 2023, 6:19:04 PM3/28/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I say go for it (all of the above). I'd been sitting on this for a few
weeks thinking I would get around to making it have more broad appeal
beyond just my school. But I realized I am not going to not have
higher priority things for a while.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CAH%2BNcPYWZU0vuLL1ssp1UU6MqBLpT7C9Oz8BsG%3DZzR_GqJFu3A%40mail.gmail.com.

Brad Miller

Mar 28, 2023, 9:12:44 PM3/28/23
to prete...@googlegroups.com, Alex Jordan
To build on what Sean said, If we can come up with a reasonable set of options this would be a great way to help instructors create a course on Runestone Academy as well!  If we can ask them up front and then set some options for their course that would really save a lot of time and support emails.

Brad

Bradley Miller, PhD
Professor Emeritus Computer Science
Luther College