Refugee Week in Preston June 18-25

Preston City of Sanctuary

May 10, 2022, 10:03:02 AM5/10/22
to GG PCOS full network
We hope you will be able to join us for some or all of the events that we are planning.
Please read on below for interim details of Refugee Week events we are planning, and book the times in your diary. Further details and Eventbrite registration pages to follow.

SATURDAY 18th June

A walk and picnic in Avenham Park (Exercise and the outdoors as healing)

Walk from 1pm.. Picnic begins at 3pm. Please bring drinks and food to share. We will add some food and provide some ice creams.

This activity builds on a similar event organised last summer, that was a huge success.

We invite Sanctuary seekers with their families and supporters of PCOS to participate by gathering in small groups at different points N, S, E and W across the city and walk together to meet up in Avenham Park. We have planned some fun activities for the children including games, using the playground, Frisbee throwing, a football kick about, and hopefully some live music.

MONDAY 20th JUNE - EVENING

COMMUNITY COOKALONG MEAL  - VENUE TO BE CONFIRMED

Join with our established Cookalong Group to prepare and eat some delicious dishes from around the world.

Tuesday 21st June 7-9pm Contextualising the Need to Heal

(Mitchell Kenyon cinema at UCLAN - TBC)

We are showing the award-winning film “Limbo” followed by a short talk on the situation in Europe and a discussion. The film aims to demonstrate the psychological implications of the refugee journey juxtaposed with the need to heal and recover from what is an extremely difficult experience exacerbated by the hostile environment. It tells the story of lives in transit.

Wednesday 22nd June 7-8pm (online)

Zoom demonstration of relaxation and yoga techniques

Thursday 23rd June Well-being Day

Plungington Centre . 12 noon -4pm (Venue and time TBC)

This event is designed to showcase a range of therapeutic interventions that each have the potential to heal and allow people to imagine a different future. It will involve relaxation sessions, art and creativity inputs, dance as relaxation and exercise. People seeking sanctuary will be invited to share and demonstrate traditional therapies linked to their cultural heritages. Lunch will be provided

Friday 24th June 7pm onwards (Joint event with Fylde)

Art and Creativity as Healing

An evening of music, poetry and sharing of experiences performed by people seeking sanctuary in a caring space. Transport to Blackpool will be arranged,

Many thanks,

Greg Smith – on behalf of

Preston City of Sanctuary Team