Reminder and zoom link Preston City of Sanctuary - Our next full Network Meeting on Monday September 6th - online at 6pm

1 view

Preston City of Sanctuary via Greg

Sep 2, 2021, 10:37:39 AM9/2/21
to GG PCOS full network
We hope you will be able to join us online next Monday from 6pm.  Here is the zoom link

Topic: PcoS  full network Zoom Meeting
Time: Sep 6, 2021 05:45 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84464571719?pwd=T3NVTzVwOGVKNlpQQnY4WjNlZ1FIdz09

Meeting ID: 844 6457 1719
Passcode: 495578

We are deeply concerned about the Borders and Nationality Bill currently before Parliament.

Our next full Network Meeting on Monday September 6th - online at 6pm will concentrate on this issue.

Our Guest speakers will be Julia Savage from Asylum Matters and Peggy Mulongo,  from UCLAN, who is is an expert in delivering cross-cultural psychosocial therapy to refugees and asylum seekers, and has recently joined our Core Group.

Please put the date in your diary now. A zoom link will be sent out nearer the time (or you will be able to reserve your place via Evenbrite ).

There is a new page on our website about campaigning with links to useful information about the Bill. Please have a look in order to inform yourself before the meeting.

And here is an update on Afghans arriving in Preston

Afghan Refugee Resettlement in Preston Area.
Following a meeting ton 31 August we are now aware that half a dozen families comprising around 50 people will be resettled in Preston in the next few weeks and a smaller number will be going to South Ribble.
Housing has been provided and the refugees will be supported for 12 months in practical ways by case workers employed by Calico, and drawing on services offered by a number of of public sector and voluntary organisations. There are many other refugees and asylum seekers in our area who have less support and greater needs who we at City of Sanctuary will continue to support.
It is encouraging that we have received many offers of help and donations. It is important that the families and organisations are not overwhelmed with "stuff" that may be unnecessary and difficult to store or distribute. We are recommending therefore that if you have furniture to give that you channel it through Gift 92 or similar charities who help a wide range of households in need, or if you want to give food you contact one of of the local food banks. The British Red Cross may also be able to use toiletries and household items. This is probably the best way you can help sanctuary seekers and others in need. You can find contact details for all relevant local organisations on the Help in Preston website (just google it).
If you wish to volunteer, specifically if you have relevant skills or experience in work with refugees or migrants, please contact Maggie Kelly Resettlement Operations Manager at The Calico Group, by email mke...@calico.org.uk or on 07969152821

Many thanks,

Greg Smith – on behalf of

Preston City of Sanctuary Team

 @Preston City of Sanctuary

https://preston.cityofsanctuary.org

Preston City of Sanctuary via Greg

Sep 6, 2021, 8:40:21 AM9/6/21
to GG PCOS full network
We hope you will be able to join us by 6pm today.. The zoom channel will be open by 17.45pm