Going together on bulk purchase?

preser...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2009, 11:28:14 AM2/15/09
to Preserving Traditions
Hey, everybody-

The flour at Westwind Milling is considerably cheaper if you buy a 25
or 50 lb bag instead of 2-lb bags ($1.66/lb vs $2.12/lb). If anyone
would like to "go in together" on bulk bags, you could save yourselves
a bit o'green if two people split a 25 lb bag, instead of each person
buying 10-12 pounds in small bags.

With the rest of the things I'm doing to keep the group moving, I will
have to respectfully delegate the coordination of such an effort to
all of you. You can use this forum to discuss and coordinate the
sharing of bags of flour, ordering, payment, etc. I have no doubts
y'all can handle it without me. ;)

FYI - if you need good containers to store a bunch of flour in,
Kilwin's (the ice cream and chocolate shop on Liberty in Ann Arbor)
has 3-gallon plastic ice cream tubs with secure lids that they sell
3/$1. They are used but clean, and sometimes smell faintly of vanilla,
but they are fantastic for storing dry goods. They even stack nicely.
One of these tubs holds about 23 pounds of flour - a gallon ziploc bag
will hold the rest of the flour from a 25-lb bag. A tub of flour will
keep fresh in your basement or a cool closet for about six months to a
year (white flour stores the longest). You can just scoop it out as
needed into smaller containers in the kitchen cupboard.

Emily

TeacherPatti

Feb 15, 2009, 5:16:20 PM2/15/09
to Preserving Traditions
To that end, I have some stuff to offer for trade. I am trying to
only eat whole wheat flour--alas, this resolution came after I bought
a 5lb bag of white all-purpose flour and a 10lb bag of white pastry
flour from Westwind. The bags are about 4 months old, and should be
fine to use.
Does anyone want to trade anything for these? :)

Patti

PS: Emily, yes, I'd like to go in a big bag of whole wheat all-purpose
flour!!