Support for textual content

Leif Torger

Jan 9, 2011, 11:27:21 AM1/9/11
to pre3d
I am wondering if there is support for textual content in pre3d. The
library is obviously for drawing geometric shapes and not for
presenting text, but I am still curious if anyone has extended the
library to support textual content or if there are any plans in that
direction.
Example of usage: I am trying to use pre3d to display a gantt-chart
and need to display name of activities, resources etc on the chart. I
want to use the extra dimension to display parallel activities. The
text must be positioned relative to the rendered objects position, and
since I want the chart to fully adjustable/zoomable etc seen from the
endusers point of view I cannot see any other way to present text than
to actually render it through the pre3d-engine

Dean

Jan 9, 2011, 5:30:52 PM1/9/11
to pr...@googlegroups.com
There was a similar question in the thread "Project point coordinates
(without drawing on Canvas)". Basically the idea would be to project
the 3d point of the text position into the 2d canvas space, and then
you could just draw the text on the canvas (or use DOM nodes). If you
want z-ordering so the text can be behind other objects, then it would
need to be integrated into the Pre3d drawing loop.

If you want the text to resize, you could just project two corner
points, defining a bounding box for the text, and then scale the text
based on the size of that box.

Good luck,
-- dean