Gun shot on Christmas night

solitarysherlockian

Jan 2, 2014, 5:20:20 PM1/2/14
to prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com
Nothing focuses the mind like a gunshot at 8:51 PM.
It began in Chicago on Christmas night. Returning home from our next door neighbor’s, my husband and I saw a group of men milling about a haphazardly stopped giant SUV in front of 1804 S. calumet Av. where the crossover to Soldier Field begins.
In the fuzzy snowy light, it was hard to sort if there were five, six or eight of them. What was clear was that one was angrily yelling. Slipping inside our home, I watched and decided the situation wasn't resolving, calling 911.
Watching from my darkened second floor bedroom I saw the scene unfold as one man jammed his index finger into the chest of another, pushing him up the middle of the street as the yelling continues. Around the corner, just out of sight, I heard it--POP. The gunshot. At the corner of S Calumet and 18th.
The police showed a minute later, two large paddywagon Suburbans.
Just in case you hadn't heard.

MARK KIERAS

Jan 2, 2014, 5:29:45 PM1/2/14
to solitarysherlockian, prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com, CAPS 001District
Candace,

Appreciate your diligence in watching out for our community. This especially includes calling the police which is always encouraged. This way they have a documented record of what's going on and can strategize(allocate resources) accordingly. Thanks

Mark

Jan 2, 2014, 6:33:15 PM1/2/14
to MARK KIERAS, solitarysherlockian, prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com, CAPS 001District
We called police and were on phone when we heard the pop. It was an argument between a man and woman.  Yelling began around the walkover to Soldier Field and the combatants made their way around to the corner before gunshot.  I went out and spoke to police when they arrived. They questioned whether a shot had been fired.  Found no casings. With the shot all involved scattered immediately.

John P. Jacoby
Sent from I Phone

MARK KIERAS

Jan 2, 2014, 7:31:38 PM1/2/14
to John Jacoby, solitarysherlockian, prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com, CAPS 001District

It's great we had a number of residents notice and call police.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

From: John Jacoby <johnjaco...@gmail.com>;
Jan 3, 2014, 1:24:06 PM1/3/14
to Edward Caspers, Candace Drimmer, John Jacoby, prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com
Ed,

Thanks for the information. I'm sure the community would appreciate any input and thoughts you might have as situations arise in the future. I'd image your experience would be helpful.

Mark Kieras
Prairie District Townhome Association
312.225.2585

I don't normally chime in on these exchanges, but I noticed the comment: "Found no casings..."   If the gun was a revolver, and there are still some out there, it would not eject a casing.  I am a retired P/O

Ed Caspers
MP Townhomes Master Association

MARK KIERAS

Jan 3, 2014, 1:35:15 PM1/3/14
to ARIANI, prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com
Ariani,

I wasn't in town but sounds like from eye witness accounts individuals in question had left the scene by the time the police arrived.

I think regardless if casings were found or a suspect was or wasn't apprehended. IMO - this was an isolated incident and not a trend like gang activity to be too concerned about. I think its awesome that residents were so quick to notice an unusual situation and call police immediately.

Mark

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 14:29:45 -0800
From: kiera...@sbcglobal.net
To: solitarys...@gmail.com; prairie-district-...@googlegroups.com; caps.001...@chicagopolice.org