Maranānusati

tashit...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2019, 12:46:00 PM2/27/19
to Pragmatic Wisdom
"Maranānusati"(contemplation about death).

I have seen from my own experience that this is very beneficial.

Sometimes while doing this, one should examine one’s own mind, "If I die tomorrow morning, what will be the state of the last moment of this life? Will any longing remain, even though this desire may be to complete some Dhamma mission?

Whenever the samkhāra of some excessive emotion arises in the mind, we should immediately practise maranānusati and understand that, "If I die in the very next moment, what fearful direction will this excessive emotion give to this stream of becoming?"

As soon as this awareness arises, it becomes easy for one to be liberated from this excessive emotion.

🌷 There is one more advantage of maranānusati from time to time.

The mind thinks, "Who knows how many lives I have been rolling in the cycle of existence? This time, as a result of some wholesome deed, I have obtained the invaluable life of a human being. I have come in contact with pure Dhamma. I have developed faith in pure Dhamma, which is free from meaningless rituals and philosophies as well as from sectarian barriers. What benefit have I derived from this?"

When one makes an assessment of this, whatever shortcomings remain, one develops enthusiasm to correct them.

Whether death will come tomorrow morning or after a hundred autumns, I do not know.

But no matter how many days I have to live, I will use them to perfect my pāramitās with a contented mind and make my human life meaningful.

Whatever results come, let them come; whenever they come, let them come then. I leave that to Dhamma.

🌷 On my part, let me continue to keep making the best use of the remaining time of this important life to the best of my ability.

For this purpose, let these inspiring words of the Buddha be with us—Uttiṭṭhe nappamajjeyya dhammaṃ sucaritaṃ care.—Arise! live the Dhamma life with diligence.

May I keep living the life of Dhamma. The results will naturally be beneficial.

(Vipassana Research Institute - http://www.vridhamma.org/en1998-02)