Re: Digest for pragmatic-functional-programming-research@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Søren Renner

Jan 20, 2014, 10:18:48 AM1/20/14
to pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com
So a variably compacting copying collector?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM, <pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/pragmatic-functional-programming-research/topics

    "Jon Harrop" <j...@ffconsultancy.com> Jan 20 01:39PM

    Garbage collectors usually expose the ability to invoke a garbage
    collection, control the parameters of the GC and to check which generation
    an object is in.

    It occurs to me that another useful feature would be the ability to redefine
    the function used to copy an object from one generation to another. For
    example, a binary search tree that survives the nursery generation could be
    morphed into a sorted array for the old generation. Given that the binary
    search tree has survived it is unlikely to die soon so it would make sense
    to coalesce the subgraph into a single heap-allocated block.

    <http://www.ffconsultancy.com/> http://www.ffconsultancy.com

Jon Harrop

Feb 2, 2014, 1:46:18 PM2/2/14
to Søren Renner, pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

Do you have a reference for that name? I’ve never heard it used before…

Cheers,

Jon.