Used PR2s

davidvlu

Sep 1, 2022, 3:46:52 PM9/1/22
to PR2_Users
The other thread reminded me that there are a lot of PR2s out there that need refurbishing / are abandoned.

Anyone have one that they are looking to offload to a good home?

-DL!!

Bill Smart

Sep 4, 2022, 3:39:14 PM9/4/22
to davidvlu, PR2_Users
David,

Do you have Venmo?   :-)

I'd love to get ours up and running again, and to see the others around the world up and going again.  It would be great to have some sort of centralization of configurations and bring-up/refurbishing instructions, if some awesome robotics company wanted to host that....

-- Bill

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 12:47 PM davidvlu <davi...@gmail.com> wrote:

[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]

[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]

The other thread reminded me that there are a lot of PR2s out there that need refurbishing / are abandoned.

Anyone have one that they are looking to offload to a good home?

-DL!!

Shingo Kitagawa

Sep 5, 2022, 10:38:14 PM9/5/22
to Bill Smart, davidvlu, PR2_Users
Hi,

I'm Shingo from JSK Robotics Lab, University of Tokyo.
We are also looking for abandoned PR2s, and we want to upgrade their software and hardware.
If you are not using PR2s anymore, we want to buy them.
We will repair them by ourselves and restart their lives again in Japan.

--
Shingo Kitagawa
the University of Tokyo, JSK Lab

Gustavo Goretkin

Sep 6, 2022, 8:03:25 AM9/6/22
to Shingo Kitagawa, Bill Smart, davidvlu, PR2_Users
I wish internal documentation and source code about the PR2's motor controller boards was publicly available. I know that Clearpath had some of this documentation.

Public documentation would help keep these PR2s alive.

Bryan Webb

Sep 6, 2022, 8:33:19 AM9/6/22
to Gustavo Goretkin, Shingo Kitagawa, Bill Smart, davidvlu, PR2_Users
I'll take a look around to see what I can find, re: documentation. Technical point: we wouldn't own the rights to the information since it's copyrighted material that was owned by Willow Garage (possibly now owned by Open Robotics?). I could potentially see us getting permission to release anything that hasn't already been released though.

--
Bryan Webb
President | Clearpath Robotics

Michael Görner

Sep 7, 2022, 5:26:27 AM9/7/22
to pr2_...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Webb, Gustavo Goretkin, Shingo Kitagawa, Bill Smart, davidvlu
This thread is really going offtopic, but I'm happy to see activity
here. :-)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 08:33:08 -0400
"'Bryan Webb' via PR2_Users" <pr2_...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I'll take a look around to see what I can find, re: documentation.
> Technical point: we wouldn't own the rights to the information since
> it's copyrighted material that was owned by Willow Garage (possibly
> now owned by Open Robotics?). I could potentially see us getting
> permission to release anything that hasn't already been released
> though.

This is pure hearsay, but around the time Clearpath took over
maintenance I'd been told that the contract with Willow gave them
permission/maybe even meant to oblige them to make all internal
documentation available to the community after they shut down their
support. To the best of my knowledge that never happened. I never
saw the agreement of course, so I don't know how much of that was
wishful thinking.

Best,

Michael

--
Michael 'v4hn' Görner, M.Sc. Cognitive Science, PhD Student
Universität Hamburg

Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg

Room: F-315
Phone: +49 40 42883-2432
Website: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/goerner/

Bryan Webb

Sep 7, 2022, 8:58:37 AM9/7/22
to Michael Görner, pr2_...@googlegroups.com, Gustavo Goretkin, Shingo Kitagawa, Bill Smart, davidvlu
Hi Michael,

Happy to answer that question as I was at Clearpath during that time and signed the agreement. The nature of the agreement was to provide support services to the PR2 community. There was no permission granted or obligation for us to release the documentation. Given the nature of Willow Garage and Clearpath, I don't think there would have been disagreement to do so. I think it was probably just an oversight. Tracking down the rightful owners of the documentation might be a difficult task now but I'll discuss it with the people I know to get some advice.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bill Smart

Jan 21, 2023, 10:27:27 PM1/21/23
to Bryan Webb, Michael Görner, pr2_...@googlegroups.com, Gustavo Goretkin, Shingo Kitagawa, davidvlu
Bryan,

Wondering if there were any developments on this.

cheers

-- Bill

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 5:58 AM 'Bryan Webb' via PR2_Users <pr2_...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]

[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]

Hi Michael,

Sanford Dickert

Jan 22, 2023, 7:19:07 PM1/22/23
to PR2_Users
I hope my reply to your earlier email happened.

Bryan Webb

Jan 30, 2023, 8:24:16 AM1/30/23
to Bill Smart, Bryan Webb, Michael Görner, pr2_...@googlegroups.com, Gustavo Goretkin, Shingo Kitagawa, davidvlu
Hi Bill,

Apologies for the delayed response as I was OoO last week. We're still planning on releasing these files in Q1 of this year.

Thanks
Bryan

Bryan Webb

Mar 8, 2023, 11:31:05 AM3/8/23