One PR2 battery module is not charging 4 batteries

Shingo Kitagawa

Sep 28, 2020, 4:45:41 AM9/28/20
to PR2_Users

Dear PR2 community,

Hello, I'm Shingo Kitagawa, JSK Laboratory at the University of Tokyo.
Yuki Furuta left our lab, and now Prof. Okada and I take in charge of the maintenance of our PR2.

We have a battery charging problem on our PR2, and I want to ask you if you know the similar problem.
Our PR2 cannot charge one battery module (4 batteries, 1.0-1.3), and we are surveying for the solution.
Each smart battery can be charged with the external battery charger, so all the batteries are fine.
We checked the voltage of AC/DC converter output, and it outputs 18 voltage, which seems fine, too.
So we think the Battery Controller Module between AC/DC converter and smart batteries is something wrong, and we are trying to buy the replacement of Battery Controller Module XP-04SR.
(Ocean server no longer sell XP-04SR)

Does anyone have the information about this problem?
Any information is welcome.
Thank you.

--
Shingo Kitagawa
JSK Lab, the University of Tokyo

Shingo Kitagawa

Oct 14, 2020, 1:13:57 PM10/14/20
to PR2_Users
Dear PR2 Community,

Hello, I'm Shingo Kitagawa, JSK robotics Lab at the University of Tokyo.
We found a solution for the problem, so we want to share the information.
The critical cause of the problem is the connection of DC input pin on the Battery controller board.
Because we need to plug in and out the DC input connector every time when we replace the batteries,
GND of the DC input connector got a conduction failure.
We put jumper wire to connect GND pin to connect other GND pin, and we solved the problem.
If you have a similar problem, please ask us for more detailed information.
Sincerely,
PXL_20201006_075704896.jpg