PR2 couldn't start

Maram Sakr

Apr 26, 2021, 8:17:19 PM4/26/21
to PR2_Users
Dear PR2 community,

I am having an issue with our PR2. When I turned it on I heard the usual 4 peeps and c1 and c2 LEDs are on. Then, when I type "robot start" I get this error message " Could not run ckill check if c2 is up". I can't connect to c2 via ping or ssh. I connected the PR2 directly to the internet via the WAN port, but again the same error.

Has anyone encountered this issue before or have some ideas about how to solve it? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Maram

Michael Görner

Apr 27, 2021, 2:38:59 AM4/27/21
to Maram Sakr, PR2_Users
Hello Maram,

it should be 4 *rising sequences* of beeps, which indicate
beginning of startup of c1, successful startup of c1, beginning of
startup of c2, successful startup of c2.

If the last sequence of beeps plays that indicates c2 successfully
booted via netboot from c1, so it definitely has a working network
connection to c1.
If you still can't connect via SSH, you'll have to connect a monitor
and a keyboard and debug why the ssh-server failed.

Best,

Michael / v4hn
--
Michael 'v4hn' Görner, M.Sc. Cognitive Science, PhD Student
Universität Hamburg

Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg

Room: F-315
Phone: +49 40 42883-2432
Website: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/goerner/

Gustavo Goretkin

Apr 27, 2021, 6:52:38 AM4/27/21
to Maram Sakr, pr2_...@googlegroups.com
I had accidentally removed the list from my reply:

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 8:38 PM Gustavo Goretkin <gustavo....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Maram,

If you have the original computer configuration from Willow Garage (not the upgrade from Clearpath), then each computer has a remote KVM (keyboard, video, monitor).

There doesn't appear to be info on the relevant clearpath page [1] however the manual [2] shows in Chapter 12

10.68.0.91 - c1-esms
10.68.0.92 - c2-esms

I believe those are the IP addresses of the remote KVMs. You could try connecting to the service port and pointing a web browser to one of those IP addresses to see if you are able to manage the computers.

There appear to be some more detailed instructions here: https://odin2.mech.ubc.ca/index.php/PR2_Wiki#Debugging_the_PR2
 Make sure you can ping 10.68.0.91 or 10.68.0.92. Point your web browser to either of these addresses. You should see a prompt for the “Advance Console”. Select “Launch”.
This will download the file and then run the application with “javaws”.(I used OpenJDK Java6 Web start and it worked quite well).
Click on the panel “Remote KVM Console”. On the left tab, you should see the servers 10.68.0.91 and 10.68.0.92. Click on either one to log in. The default username and password for the PR2 is “root” and “changeme”.
Now you should have an access to the PR2's boot screen. 10.68.0.91 for c1 and 10.68.0.92 for c2.
The most common problem is that OS waiting for the user to confirm a file system check; if you can get the console working, you should be able to confirm and get it to finish booting. usually from c1 screen. Press F to fix , S to skip etc.

Good luck,
Gustavo