Realtime loop used too much time in the last 30 seconds

Zdeněk Materna

Sep 17, 2019, 9:59:10 AM9/17/19
to PR2_Users
Hi all,

we (Brno University of Technology) have experienced problems with halted motors before, but now it started to be really painful problem. Our PR2 runs on Indigo, Ubuntu 14.04 / lowlatency kernel. There are various error messages:
  • Halting, realtime loop only ran at 743.3333 Hz
  • Motors halted (service request); Dropped packets in last 10 seconds
  • Realtime loop used too much time in the last 30 seconds.; Halting, realtime loop only ran at 743.3333 Hz.
  • Safety Lockout: WATCHDOG (Name: r_elbow_flex_motor)
  • !!! Broke Realtime, used more than 1000 micro seconds in update loop
C1 has 16 cores, average load is approximately 8, memory usage looks fine. Any idea how to fix it? Many thanks!

Michael Görner

Sep 19, 2019, 1:32:24 AM9/19/19
to Zdeněk Materna, PR2_Users
Hi there,

did you check whether you exhaust the bandwidth on the robot-internal
network?
We found connecting C1 to the kinect2 on the head can add a lot of
traffic and result in overall delays.

Michael / v4hn

--
Michael 'v4hn' Görner, M.Sc. Cognitive Science, PhD Student
Universität Hamburg

Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg

Room: F-315
Phone: +49 40 42883-2432
Website: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/goerner/

Zdeněk Materna

Sep 19, 2019, 7:35:51 AM9/19/19
to PR2_Users
Hello,

well, we don't have Kinect2 attached but too much network traffic could definitely be the reason - I will try to use some monitoring tool (any tips? :-)). Actually, there are for sure some network problems - we are running roscore on an external PC and usually ping from C2 to that PC works for some limited time and then suddenly stops. Routes seems to be ok, everything, it just don't work... My original hypotheses was overheating.

Best,
Zdenek

Zdeněk Materna

Sep 24, 2019, 10:01:56 AM9/24/19
to PR2_Users
Hello,

I tried to install some network monitoring tools - bmon shows a high number of errors (Frame Error, CRC Error) for ecat0 interface - see attached screenshot. Any ideas?

Screenshot from 2019-09-24 15:44:52.png

Right now  I'm not able to enable motors at all (robot worked fine for approx. half an hour before that). There are also some strange messages in the terminal:

readMailboxInternal : ERROR asking for read repeat after dropping 1 packets
readMailboxInternal : ERROR asking for read repeat after dropping 1 packets
readMailboxInternal : ERROR asking for read repeat after dropping 2 packets

[ERROR] [1569332931.924796342]: No data have arrived for more than one second. Assuming that camera is no longer streaming.
[ERROR] [1569332931.927171245]: No data have arrived for more than one second. Assuming that camera is no longer streaming.
[WARN] [WallTime: 1569332933.830863] Caught exception <urlopen error [Errno 113] No route to host>
[ERROR] [1569332936.305849692]: Matching URL name://narrow_stereo_r#la...@10.69.0.44 : No cameras matched the URL.
[ERROR] [1569332936.306653971]: Matching URL name://wide_stereo_r#la...@10.69.0.46 : No cameras matched the URL.
[ERROR] [1569332936.327056989]: Matching URL name://narrow_stereo_l#la...@10.69.0.43 : No cameras matched the URL.
[ERROR] [1569332936.335725482]: Matching URL name://wide_stereo_l#la...@10.69.0.45 : No cameras matched the URL.

The air-intake filter was just replaced and output of "sensors" command looks ok - so it's not related to overheating.

Best,
Zdeněk