Reiterative stopping of PR2 engines

EDUARDO ALEXIS ALVARADO

Nov 16, 2022, 6:59:24 AM11/16/22
to PR2_Users
Dear PR2 users,

My name is Eduardo Alvarado, member of the Speech Processing and Transmission Laboratory of the University of Chile.

I have problems when moving the PR2 robot either by joystick or by commands. No more than 1 minute after the robot starts to move, it stops (in the same way as if the stop button of controller module was pressed). Based on this, I thought that the problem was due to the controller module batteries, but I replaced them and the problem was not solved.

If this had happened to you or you have information on how to solve this problem, it would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance,
 Regards,

Eduardo Alvarado
Speech Processing and Transmission Laboratory.

Michael Görner

Nov 16, 2022, 7:27:28 AM11/16/22
to EDUARDO ALEXIS ALVARADO, PR2_Users
Hello Eduardo,

As this happens when driving, my first guess would be data corruption
through an aged slip ring in one of the caster wheels. In this case the
dashboard should show you information on which mcb failed to
communicate, triggering the estop.
As Shingo just wrote on this list, these slip rings are a common cause
of failure and can be replaced with some work.
If you don't see any information about this in the dashboard it might
be a different issue though.

Michael
--
Michael 'v4hn' Görner, M.Sc. Cognitive Science, Research Associate
Universität Hamburg

Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg

Room: F-315
Phone: +49 40 42883-2432
Website: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/goerner/

Shingo Kitagawa

Nov 18, 2022, 2:10:28 PM11/18/22
to EDUARDO ALEXIS ALVARADO, PR2_Users
Hello Eduardo,

I also think it is related to the packet drop of ethercat.
The common issue is the slip ring of the casters.
You can check the packet dropped MCB by rqt_pr2_dashboard.
MCBs are connected with daisy chains, so if the slip ring is broken, all the MCBs in the caster drops the packets.

--
Shingo Kitagawa
the University of Tokyo, JSK Lab

EDUARDO ALEXIS ALVARADO

Nov 18, 2022, 4:34:14 PM11/18/22
to PR2_Users
Hello,
I took a screenshot of the dashboard, Can you take a look at the error?
It seems that the problem is indeed the slip ring, if that is the case, can you help us find the replacement and guide us with the installation.

Thanks in advance,
 Regards,

Eduardo Alvarado
Speech Processing and Transmission Laboratory.

Screenshot from 2022-11-18 19_10_27.png

Shingo Kitagawa

Nov 20, 2022, 4:04:16 AM11/20/22
to EDUARDO ALEXIS ALVARADO, PR2_Users
Hello,
I posted the slip ring information in this mailing list, so please check it out.
the product name is JINPAT LPC-0205-0402.
You can buy it from JINPAT, so please contact them.
By following willow garage’s manual, you can remove the caster unit from PR2.
And you remove several parts and can replace the slip ring.

北川 晋吾