PR2 Calibration

Muhammad Rihabe

Aug 13, 2023, 10:53:17 PM8/13/23
to PR2_Users
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone with a working PR2 has got any of the calibration scripts to work on noetic. All python scripts seem to be outdated. Does anyone know of a better way to calibrate the pr2?

-Muhammad

Sam Pfeiffer

Aug 14, 2023, 1:48:52 AM8/14/23
to PR2_Users
You could run the calibration scripts in a docker container with a previous version known to work.

Muhammad Rihabe

Aug 14, 2023, 2:40:56 AM8/14/23
to PR2_Users
Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have a docker image I can use? Nothing I found online is working for me, and I wouldn't know where to begin making my own. Would i need to run all functionalities of the PR2 in the docker container? or only the calibration scripts? thanks

Sam Pfeiffer

Aug 14, 2023, 2:44:02 AM8/14/23
to Muhammad Rihabe, PR2_Users
You'll need to make your own (it's easy and something very useful to learn!). You will only need to run the calibration script in the container (as I expect the rest of the system to be running already).

Muhammad Rihabe

Aug 14, 2023, 2:49:27 AM8/14/23
to PR2_Users

@Sam I noticed you are a contributor at https://github.com/uts-magic-lab. I work at UTS, are you still around by any chance? perhaps we can talk about the pr2 over lunch sometime? I've been working on it for the past couple of years, and I've made a great deal of progress if that interests you. Thanks

Muhammad Rihabe

Aug 14, 2023, 2:53:02 AM8/14/23
to PR2_Users
I'll give it a try. I have some experience in docker, but not much. I agree Docker is a great tool to have. All in all, I think it would serve as a good learning experience. Thanks :)

Michael Görner

Aug 14, 2023, 5:33:09 AM8/14/23
to 'Muhammad Rihabe' via PR2_Users, PR2_Users
Hi there,

I would always use a more current calibration framework like atom or
robot_calibration and set it up from scratch instead of trying to keep
the outdated and broken original calibration scripts running.

We heavily modified our PR2, so we cannot use the default calibration
scripts anyway and have [our own configs based on
robot_calibration](https://github.com/TAMS-Group/tams_pr2/tree/noetic-devel/tams_pr2_calibration).
It's far from complete or well-documented, but works sufficiently well
for calibrating our arms.

Best,

Michael

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 23:53:01 -0700 (PDT)

--
Michael 'v4hn' Görner, M.Sc. Cognitive Science, Research Associate
Universität Hamburg

Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg

Room: F-315
Phone: +49 40 42883-2432
Website: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/goerner/

Muhammad Rihabe

Aug 14, 2023, 5:53:19 AM8/14/23
to Michael Görner, 'Muhammad Rihabe' via PR2_Users, PR2_Users
Thank you, I will try this tomorrow. I was trying to calibrate the tilt lidar as it's the sensor I'm using most at the moment. but it makes sense to start with the arms as other sensors will depend on that. also, that's a very interesting gripper you've got on the pr2 :o