Get 48V power supply for Shadow hand

Sebastian Rockel

Aug 19, 2015, 11:14:00 AM8/19/15
to PR2_Users

Hi,

We are mounting the electronic version of the Shadow hand at the PR2 arm for an urgent Demo. The power supply for the original forearm is 18V. Is it possible to supply 48V over the same connector?
Is there a 48V power supply at all at the PR2 somewhere? Thanks a lot.

-Sebastian

Ilia Baranov

Aug 19, 2015, 11:37:11 AM8/19/15
to PR2_Users
Hello,

Be careful, the voltage on the PR2 motor power circuit is around 18v in idle state, but goes to 72V in active state.
So you need a fairly wide range power supply.

I would suggest a DC-DC converter like this one from Digikey: 102-1968-ND
Though I have not tested it myself, so take care with it.

Sebastian Rockel

Aug 24, 2015, 3:01:02 AM8/24/15
to PR2_Users
Hi Ilia,

Thanks for your quick reply.

We just got feedback from Shadow: Obviously the hand internally manages the 18-72V range (motors cut of at <20V). Looks like a DC-DC is not needed. We will test this soon.

Kind regards, Sebastian