PR2 PowerBoard replacement? and Question about typical PR2 broken parts

Alexis Maldonado

Oct 24, 2014, 5:08:19 AM10/24/14
to pr2_...@googlegroups.com

Dear PR2 users and admins,

I asked at answers.ros.org and was suggested to contact you here.

am maintaining a PR2 at the Institute for Artificial Intelligence of the University of Bremen.

We have been diagnosing an issue with our robot since September 15th together with the help of Clearpath Robotics, but sadly they don't have any new Power-Boards on stock, and they are working under pressure to repair another board to send to us. Since we depend on the PR2 for the work of a lot of researchers, this has been affecting us heavily.

The issue started with under-voltage warnings on the right arm, which were halting the robot, happening once or twice a day, and it got worse until the robot can not even complete self-calibration without halting. We now disconnected the right arm, but we need both for some experiments.

It is a long shot, but who knows?: Does any other PR2 team have a working power board that they are not using currently?

Did anyone else have problems with the power board or other components of the PR2 that needed replacement? We had very few issues with our PR2 in TUM (Munich), but the one here has had many more.

I'm interested in your experiences with the hardware, and which components required fixing or replacement. It could help us prepare and to repair the robot quickly next time something happens.

Thanks in advance!

Alexis

Dominick Vanthienen

Oct 24, 2014, 5:22:24 AM10/24/14
to Alexis Maldonado, pr2_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexis,

in Leuven, we had following hardware problems: *ethercat board of a motor in the base had intermittent communication/power loss: replaced by clearpath robotics *spine made/makes noise: touching the spine solves the problem (alignment problem, first done in interaction with support of Willow Garage) *batteries are dying (warm, sometimes connection loss) *loss of connection with IMU *router died: replaced long time ago

Nick

Alexis Maldonado

Oct 24, 2014, 7:58:12 AM10/24/14
to pr2_...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-10-24 11:22, Dominick Vanthienen wrote:
> Hi Alexis,
>
> in Leuven, we had following hardware problems:
> *ethercat board of a motor in the base had intermittent
> communication/power loss: replaced by clearpath robotics
> *spine made/makes noise: touching the spine solves the problem
> (alignment problem, first done in interaction with support of Willow
> Garage)
> *batteries are dying (warm, sometimes connection loss)
> *loss of connection with IMU
> *router died: replaced long time ago
>
> Nick

Hi Nick, and list,

For the sake of completeness, here is what has gone wrong with our PR2
since middle of December 2012:

* Two casters were replaced by Willow Garage when the robot was fairly new.

* The Force/Torque sensor on one wrist is broken (seems it arrived
damaged and only delivers nonsense data). Clearpath helped diagnose the
issue but had no fix, and we haven't pursued this further because of the
PowerBoard problems that are more pressing.

* PowerBoard halts the robot and reports problems with the right arm. We
are hoping for a repaired board soon from Clearpath.

* The Base-station died (motherboard damage). We replaced it with a
newer PC.

* The kinect on the head has random disconnects. It is possibly a cable
(power/usb) issue. Not so urgent because we are switching to the new
Kinect anyway.

* One of the batteries is a little weak, but not too bad.

If I remember correctly, for our PR2 in Munich we had:

* One caster was replaced
* One MCB (Motor Control Board) was replaced

The spine made a noise in our PR2 at TUM and also here. We have accepted
that as 'normal'. I don't know if yours was/is worse.

I would say that's not too bad for a robot that gets a lot of use.

Greetings,

Alexis