Replacement of PR2 batter controller module

Shingo Kitagawa

Oct 30, 2022, 7:30:04 AM10/30/22
to PR2_Users
Dear PR2 users,

I'm Shingo Kitagawa, JSK Lab, UTokyo.
We want to share our information about the replacement of battery controller module.
PR2 uses Ocean server's Battery Controller Module XP-04SR, but we cannot buy this product anymore.
And we had a fire on this board because of a short circuit last month, and one board was completely broken.
So we replaced  XP-04SR with 2 DSMBS Likeabird, and now it works properly, and our PR2 is revived.

If you are struggling with a similar issue, we can share more detailed information, so please let us know.

--
Shingo Kitagawa
the University of Tokyo, JSK Lab

Alexis Maldonado

Oct 30, 2022, 7:34:23 AM10/30/22
to pr2_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think all PR2 robots out there will need the same replacement eventually. Could you explain a bit more regarding which charging/controller board you installed,  and if it was compatible with the batteries already installed on the robot, or if you had to get new cells? Do you have an schematic of the electrical/data connections?

Thank you for sharing the information!

Best regards,

Alexis Maldonado

Shingo Kitagawa

Oct 30, 2022, 8:03:07 AM10/30/22
to Alexis Maldonado, pr2_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We can use the same Ocean server's battery cell with the board.
The board uses the same protocol for smart battery control.
We just make some connectors and a fixture for PR2, but we don't need other things.
You can get the datasheet from the Likeabird website.