Having trouble starting PR2

Hamoudy

Apr 3, 2022, 8:08:39 PM4/3/22
to PR2_Users
Hi,

I'm a student at university looking to control the PR2 for a university project. I've tried to get the pr2 up and running but with little success. I will mention the things I have tried so far.

The robot is running ros indigo. when I try to run the following

roslaunch /etc/ros/robot.launch

it gives an error:

remote[c2-0]: failed to launch on c2:

network error connecting to [c2:22]: [Errno 113] No route to host

I get a similar error when I try to run robot start or robot stop.

from this, I assume the c2 is either not enabled or not communicating with c1 correctly. .
I attempted to bypass this by sending

roslaunch /etc/ros/robot.launch c2:=false

which runs fine, until I get the repeated error

Calibration is on hold because motors are halted. Enable the run-stop

even though both the e-stop on the back of the robot and the remote run-stop are switched correctly. (led on the remote near the START button flashes about 4 times a second).

I read on another conversation here on google groups that i should hear 4 beeps to indicate c1 and c2 start up correctly. however, I hear 5 beeps right after each other. then a pause, then a melody beeps.

Another problem is that the wiki either seems to be out of date or my robot is running outdated ros packages. The pr2 manual suggests to run rosrun pr2_dashboard pr2_dashboard but "pr2_dashboard" does not exist. (pr2_dashboard_aggrigator does exist).

I would like to get the robot up and running as soon as possible. even if that means factory resetting the PR2 and somehow installing all packages and drivers (as though it is a new machine). But firstly, I'd like to figure out why c2 is not able to communicate with c1 correctly (if it is even turned on)

Michael Görner

Apr 4, 2022, 4:56:06 AM4/4/22
to Hamoudy, PR2_Users
Hi Hamoudy,

good luck, there might be quite a lot to do and I'm not sure you
understand what a "reset" would entail.

What university are you working at? Is there nobody in the respective
group anymore who has some level of insight into the system?

First of all, if your group bought the "indigo upgrade" from clearpath:
That update *somewhat* worked, but was broken on different levels and it
took my group quite some time to get to a working state again.

In that case I would expect the 5 beeps (same pitch) come from the BIOS
of c1 indicating that no graphics card/no keyboard is connected. If the
server still boots rejoice. We actually had to flash the BIOS with a
custom version we got from the mainboard manufacturer to boot.
Get in touch if you want a copy of it.

In the default setup c2 *netboots* from c1. If c1 is too slow to boot,
c2 might fail to boot into the netboot system. For us that meant it
would boot into an untouched ubuntu-preinstall that did not respond to
anything. Or it got stuck in a BIOS screen with an error message.
Try to connect a monitor and keyboard to c2 to check.

The rest of the (rising pitch) audio sequence you hear is c1 booting
(there should be a part of the sequence playing at the begin of boot
and a part playing at the end of the boot process).

If you don't use a lot of additional computation on the machine, you
might also rely on c1 only (unless some relevant hardware is directly
connected to c2).

> which runs fine, until I get the repeated error
>
> *Calibration is on hold because motors are halted. Enable the
> run-stop*

Congratulations. That's not an error but expected behavior once "startup
went well" for your configuration.

> even though both the e-stop on the back of the robot and the remote
> run-stop are switched correctly. (led on the remote near the START
> button flashes about 4 times a second).

That again is bad news. We experience something similar every now and
then, but disabling/enabling the remote e-stop once or twice always
works for us (until now). We suspect that this might be a powerboard
issue, but this would be very bad news for you unless you have a spare
one at your lab.

> Another problem is that the wiki either seems to be out of date or my
> robot is running outdated ros packages. The pr2 manual suggests to
> run *rosrun pr2_dashboard pr2_dashboard *but "pr2_dashboard" does not
> exist. (pr2_dashboard_aggrigator does exist).

I believe this is the current one:
https://github.com/PR2/rqt_pr2_dashboard

> I would like to get the robot up and running as soon as possible.
> even if that means factory resetting the PR2 and somehow installing
> all packages and drivers (as though it is a new machine). But
> firstly, I'd like to figure out why c2 is not able to communicate
> with c1 correctly (if it is even turned on)

familiar with linux software stacks, system maintenance from kernel to
overlay-fs mounts and userspace job management, network routing, the
details of the ROS system, and various other things I forgot. Some
groups did that to upgrade to kinetic/melodic. In the end it's all just
some standard computers with ethernet/ethercat & usb connections.

I would definitely *not* recommend to try to "factory reset". I'm not
aware of a fully functional ROS indigo robot setup from a support
company and trying to go back even further (e.g. fuerte/hydro) is plain
suicide, even if you could still find all the packages.

Greetings from Hamburg,

Michael / v4hn

--
Michael 'v4hn' Görner, M.Sc. Cognitive Science, PhD Student
Universität Hamburg

Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg

Room: F-315
Phone: +49 40 42883-2432
Website: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/goerner/

Matthieu Herrb

Apr 4, 2022, 6:19:52 AM4/4/22
to Hamoudy, PR2_Users
On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 05:08:39PM -0700, Hamoudy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a student at university looking to control the PR2 for a university
> project. I've tried to get the pr2 up and running but with little success.
> I will mention the things I have tried so far.
>
> The robot is running ros indigo. when I try to run the following
>
> *roslaunch /etc/ros/robot.launch*
>
> it gives an error:
>

> *remote[c2-0]: failed to launch on c2:network error connecting to [c2:22]:
> [Errno 113] No route to host*
>
> I get a similar error when I try to run *robot start* or *robot
> stop*.

> from this, I assume the c2 is either not enabled or not communicating with
> c1 correctly. .
> I attempted to bypass this by sending
>
> *roslaunch /etc/ros/robot.launch c2:=false*

Hi,

The problem probably is that c2 is not booting for some reason. One of
the main reason could be that the BIOS battery of the PC is dead and
needs replacement.

Did your PR2 got upgraded by ClearPath Robotics ? If so, you sould
have the HDMI output of c2's graphics card available on the top of the
robot's base : you can connect a monitor and a USB keyboard and
interact with the BIOS.

If it's still the original hardware by Willow Garage, then the
graphics card output is on the back of the PC, hard to reach, but it's
possible by just removing the 3 screws that maintain the PC to loosen
it a bit, without unplugging anything.

> which runs fine, until I get the repeated error
>
> *Calibration is on hold because motors are halted. Enable the run-stop*
>
> even though both the e-stop on the back of the robot and the remote
> run-stop are switched correctly. (led on the remote near the START button
> flashes about 4 times a second).

This may be the symptom that the communication on the robot has other
issues than just c2 not starting. The main switch is in the base,
between the 2 PC. If, using a monitor, you find out the c2 is just
starting normally but cannot boot because it can't reach c1, then
check the cabling there and in the back of the PCs.

The thin blue cables that are used are a bit fragile and it they are
pinched by some pieces of metal, the connectivity may be broken.

Check c1 (the one on the right of the robot. on your left if facing
the robot) cables first, as it may not connect to the main powerboard
either.

> I read on another conversation here on google groups that i should hear 4
> beeps to indicate c1 and c2 start up correctly. however, I hear 5 beeps
> right after each other. then a pause, then a melody beeps.
>
> Another problem is that the wiki either seems to be out of date or my robot
> is running outdated ros packages. The pr2 manual suggests to run *rosrun
> pr2_dashboard pr2_dashboard *but "pr2_dashboard" does not exist.
> (pr2_dashboard_aggrigator does exist).

With indigo and later it's rqt_pr2_dashboard, you may need to rebuild
it in your own ROS workspace :
g...@github.com:PR2/rqt_pr2_dashboard.git

--
Matthieu Herrb