Home assistant

Frederic Muller

Nov 28, 2019, 4:07:34 AM11/28/19
to pp...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I recently got 2 MiJia thermometer and humidity sensors which display
the temp and humidity but also can connect through Bluetooth to get
those info. Unfortunately there are far apart and I can't connect
simultaneously to both. One solution would be to get a Mijia lamp or hub
per sensor, but that's a minimum of $30 extra per sensor...

With a bit of online research and questioning I found a cheap component
(~$7) which can capture the BT signals and broadcast it on my WiFi network.

This got me very curious and I discovered https://www.home-assistant.io/
and will start implementing more home automation devices.

My plans are to monitor and compare temperature in my living room and my
bedroom, and also install smart switches which would automatically turn
on during "night hours" unless there is somebody in the bed (yeah, there
are bed occupation sensors! Just found out today - all DIY!).

At the moment I have nothing installed yet since I'm waiting for the
pieces I've ordered to start implementing.

I was wondering if anyone in the group had already started to explore
this, and what you're currently doing with it?

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Thanks!

Fred

Norbert Klein

Dec 5, 2019, 4:34:15 AM12/5/19
to pp...@googlegroups.com
Hello back,

your MiJia thermometer and humidity sensors are surely different from my Mi Fit smartwatch (US$ 45 in Phnom Penh) - but I decided to respond anyway. My smartwatch has sensors for the pulse rate of my heart, and it counts the steps I walk and the distance in meters per day, and the calories burnt by this. I use only these functions. I bought it mainly to monitor my 85 years old heart's pulse rate.

It has extra functions to set alarms (to be felt on the wrist) and a stop watch, and it can also monitor incoming mail and SMS if the related laptop or desktop is connected by Bluetooth.

I could also set special sensors to switch on in a gym on a tread-mill, and a body weight watcher. And if you are on AliPay, it can also display related data. And a weather related function - all over Bluetooth.

Greetings from the Province of Kep.

Norbert

Post a message: pp...@googlegroups.com

Arky

Dec 5, 2019, 5:36:59 AM12/5/19
to pp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Frederic

On 11/28/19 4:06 PM, Frederic Muller wrote:

> I recently got 2 MiJia thermometer and humidity sensors which display
> the temp and humidity but also can connect through Bluetooth to get
> those info. Unfortunately there are far apart and I can't connect
> simultaneously to both. One solution would be to get a Mijia lamp or hub
> per sensor, but that's a minimum of $30 extra per sensor...

Perhaps you could look into Sonoff (https://sonoff.tech/) devices with
Tasmota firmware (https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota) for your home
automation project?

> With a bit of online research and questioning I found a cheap component
> (~$7) which can capture the BT signals and broadcast it on my WiFi network.

Perhaps you could use a OpenWRT device or Raspberry Pi with USB
bluetooth dongle as a Bluetooth gateway?

Cheers

--arky

Frederic Muller

Dec 10, 2019, 2:17:53 AM12/10/19
to pp...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

i'm not sure why, but I missed the last 2 emails of the list. Glad this
interests some of you guys. So yes this is also a BT sensor. My Mijia
thermometer cost around $10. I bought it in China but you can find it at
a similar price from the Tech-Zone shops in Phnom Penh.

I also do have a Mi something watch like you do and a scale. I'm fine
with the mobile app for those 2 but you could eventually capture the
data the same way and add then to your "smart home" application.

I believe one of the big point would be to own the data you collect
versus giving them to Mi company...and then you could add other devices
to that some Free Software application made by other manufacturers or
yourself eventually. Not sure how the "open source" calculation compares
to the Mi one though.

Seems you finally resolved your internect access issue then?

Fred
> Post a message: pp...@googlegroups.com <mailto:pp...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:pplug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> ---
> Groups "PPLUG - Phnom Penh Linux Users Group" group.
> send an email to pplug+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:pplug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> --
> --
> Post a message: pp...@googlegroups.com
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pplug/CA%2B%2B_vrC5A7XFC1-gNuWWS7JqY2%3DqqYBnqjjg-HNMQKwf87hm2w%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pplug/CA%2B%2B_vrC5A7XFC1-gNuWWS7JqY2%3DqqYBnqjjg-HNMQKwf87hm2w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Frederic Muller

Dec 10, 2019, 2:25:34 AM12/10/19
to pp...@googlegroups.com
On 12/5/19 5:36 PM, Arky wrote:
> Hey Frederic
>
> On 11/28/19 4:06 PM, Frederic Muller wrote:
>
>> I recently got 2 MiJia thermometer and humidity sensors which display
>> the temp and humidity but also can connect through Bluetooth to get
>> those info. Unfortunately there are far apart and I can't connect
>> simultaneously to both. One solution would be to get a Mijia lamp or hub
>> per sensor, but that's a minimum of $30 extra per sensor...
>>
> Perhaps you could look into Sonoff (https://sonoff.tech/) devices with
> Tasmota firmware (https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota) for your home
> automation project?

Yes there are still a few things which are not clear to me, or let's say
how all the projects interact or compete with each others. I'm a
beginner :-)

>> With a bit of online research and questioning I found a cheap component
>> (~$7) which can capture the BT signals and broadcast it on my WiFi network.
>>
> Perhaps you could use a OpenWRT device or Raspberry Pi with USB
> bluetooth dongle as a Bluetooth gateway?

Well the Pi is $35+ so similar to the Mijia hub/lamp and I would need 2
(one for each thermometer). At the same time indeed the home assistant
can run on a Pi. But I've already planned to install it on my NAS into a
VM probably so no real need at this point.

I'm also planning to move everything to a separate network so maybe I'll
set up an OpenWRT router on one of the network, now quite sure at this
stage (and still waiting for the hardware to arrive).

Fred

> Cheers
>
> --arky

Frederic Muller

Dec 16, 2019, 1:44:52 AM12/16/19
to pp...@googlegroups.com
Hi again!

A few weeks have passed and I'm thinking to install a second instance at
a friend's place. In that case the raspberry would be great. Have you
done it yourself yet or do you know anyone who has? I'm looking for a
"standard" startup package (so I read a Pi 4 with 2GB of ram, power
supply, SD card 32GB min) with probably lighting (1 or 2 lamps) maybe
temperature (I don't know why, I find it's important) and not sure what
else in fact. Any suggestion?

It's a 1 bedroom apartment at the 4th floor where my friend seldom visit
but someone comes to clean once in a while. Not sure what gadgetry I
could surprise him with. We also have a few cameras (different brands,
some with SD cards, some with online accounts), I'd say 3 in total but 2
for sure.

Then there is a fridge, water heater, a balcony, some plants...

I'm thinking it could be a cool project for geeks who have nothing else
to do... (just making fun of myself obviously - and I do have things to do)

Well I'm curious of what ideas we could come up with!

Thanks a lot.

Fred