Library Not Loaded

Sabeel Mansuri

Feb 14, 2018, 6:29:43 PM2/14/18
to pplacer users
Hi! I'm trying to install and use pplacer for the first time, but I get the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgsl.0.dylib

I've already run the following commands:

wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.16.tar.gz
tar -xzvf gsl-1.16.tar.gz
cp -a gsl-1.16 . /usr/local/lib/

wget https://github.com/matsen/pplacer/releases/download/v1.1.alpha17/pplacer-Darwin-v1.1.alpha17.zip
unzip pplacer-Darwin-v1.1.alpha17.zip
mv pplacer-Darwin-v1.1.alpha17-6-g5cecf99 pplacer

Thank you for helping me find the problem!

Erick Matsen

Feb 15, 2018, 7:03:47 AM2/15/18
to pplace...@googlegroups.com
Best to install GSL with Homebrew, I'd think.

Frederick "Erick" Matsen, Associate Member
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://matsen.fredhutch.org/

Jeff Bowman

Feb 15, 2018, 9:32:32 AM2/15/18
to pplacer users
Erick,
GSL 1.16 (which I think pplacer requires) is no longer supported by Homebrew.  I haven't tried this, but I think it is necessary to compile v1.16 from source.  Instructions for a random version of GSL for anyone who needs them: https://coral.ise.lehigh.edu/jild13/2016/07/11/hello/.

Jeff

ctri...@mymail.mines.edu

Mar 8, 2018, 8:40:08 PM3/8/18
to pplacer users
Hi Jeff,

I'm running into this same issue with pplacer. I get this error when it tries to run
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgsl.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/Chris/Desktop/Metagenomics/Tools/pplacer/pplacer
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

I took your advice and compiled v1.16 of GSL, however, I'm still getting the same error with pplacer. Do you know if there's anything else I need to do beyond their instructions? Possibly something I need to add to my $PATH. Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris Trivedi

ctri...@mymail.mines.edu

Mar 8, 2018, 10:04:34 PM3/8/18
to pplacer users
Hi All,

I just wanted to update on my progress. I followed Jeff's link and it does indeed allow you to compile GSL v1.16. The issue I was having was that pplacer looks for that library in /usr/local/ so either compile directly into that folder, or after you compile to /home/user/gsl you can move the files and pplacer should be able to find them.

At this point I'm up and running.

Thanks!