rarefy guppy command

Michael Doane

Oct 12, 2017, 1:49:03 PM10/12/17
to pplacer users
Hey all,

I'm thinking about the idea of rarefying my samples for downstream analysis. I'm unsure how the 'rarefy' command operates in guppy. Is there a method recommended to determine what to rarefy each sample down too? I assume that best would be to determine the smallest sample then rarefy all samples to that one. However, I'm unsure how to go about determining the smallest. Do I determine the number of candidate sequences in my set of files, or am I looking for the number of placements (including pquery and multiplicities)?

Thanks in advance.

Erick Matsen

Oct 12, 2017, 4:34:48 PM10/12/17
to pplacer users
This is up to the user. Yes, downsampling to the smallest number of unique sequences is common.

Frederick "Erick" Matsen, Associate Member
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://matsen.fredhutch.org/