Any keyboard shortcut to suspend Text-to-speech?

jimluther

Jun 10, 2011, 11:44:30 AM6/10/11
to PowerTalk
I was wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut to suspend/re-
activate text-to-speech in PowerTalk?

We use PowerTalk in our school setting primarily to read stories. It's
great. We love it. And, thank you.

Currently, we set our .pps files to open with PowerTalk. This is fine
for materials we download from Tar Heel Reader and other similar
sources. However, some sites like Unique Learning offer stories that
have embedded audio narration which in general is preferable to text-
to-speech. When these .pps files open the results is auditory chaos.
(We can easily re-name any story with audio a .ppt file and open it
though MS Powerpoint, so this is not a crushing concern.)

Steve Lee

Jun 10, 2011, 12:20:51 PM6/10/11
to powertal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim

On 10 June 2011 16:44, jimluther <jam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut to suspend/re-
> activate text-to-speech in PowerTalk?

I'm afraid not and I can't find a way to disable the Windows TTS either.

> We use PowerTalk in our school setting primarily to read stories. It's
> great. We love it. And, thank you.

Great and thank you :)

> Currently, we set our .pps files to open with PowerTalk. This is fine
> for materials we download from Tar Heel Reader and other similar
> sources. However, some sites like Unique Learning offer stories that
> have embedded audio narration which in general is preferable to text-
> to-speech. When these .pps files open the results is auditory chaos.
> (We can easily re-name any story with audio a .ppt file and open it
> though MS Powerpoint, so this is not a crushing concern.)

Indeed running in PowerPoint directly is the obvious answer if its for
the entire presentation.
You should be able to right click on the icon and select option other
than narrate (open or edit) which it sounds like is your default.

I created a ticket
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/powertalk/view_all_bug_page.php

Thanks again

--
Steve Lee

Full Measure - open source accessibility - http://fullmeasure.co.uk

Steve Lee

Jun 16, 2011, 6:17:05 AM6/16/11
to PowerTalk
Possibly related to this was a recent request for PowerTalk to only
speak selected pages of a presentation. This could be achieved with an
command line option to specify a range of pages or a way of marking
pages as speak/mute. As always I try to avoid options to keep it as
simple as possible.