Multi file management, merging tool and open source

Yann Gilquin

Oct 31, 2007, 1:27:48 PM10/31/07
to Power Tab Developers Support, heron_...@yahoo.fr
Hi all,
I'm sure this has been asked one million times yet, anyway is the
powertab source code available somewhere ? Brad, have you ever
intended to make powertab an open source project ?

In fact, I'm asking this because I'm wondering is if we could make
some changes to accept multiple ptb files to be opened in a powertab
session as it is not the case today. It's very tedious to copy-paste
some stuffs between to files (even impossible most of the time !)...

Also, it could be very cool to design a merging tool !

Yann

Dummy

Nov 2, 2007, 7:02:03 PM11/2/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
I've considered it. Currently the answer is no, but I certainly
wouldn't consider it out of the question sometime in the future.

Brad

Yann Gilquin

Nov 3, 2007, 5:28:11 AM11/3/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
ok, thanks for your answer. Could I insist a little bit and ask you
the reason (but you can refuse to give them !!).
It could be a big step forward for the powertab project to open the
source code, imagine the impact of dozens passionate
coders who would give help and ideas to make it even better. On my
side, I could propose to make it run on linux platform.

You know I use powertab for my band since the first version was born,
and my only wish is to help you make it even better, because it's
already an amazing tablature editing tool ! Thanks for that... I think
my help could be a way to be grateful for the intensive use I do !

Yann

Dummy

Nov 4, 2007, 4:36:20 PM11/4/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
It's primarily a case of not having a good enough code set to make the
decision. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when the source
code is finished, it's something I'll decide upon at that time. Until
then, I say no, because it won't get people's hopes up, and if I
change my mind to yes, I don't think I'll get much hate mail calling
me a liar/hypocrite.

Brad

allpow...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2007, 12:19:15 PM11/14/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
I think Yann was speaking of previous builds. If the code from the
last successful build was released, developers could fix bugs
submitted to the wiki. This would be a great way to keep the community
thriving until another official release. Of course ... the dark side
would be a massive response in emails. If someone is willing to port
it Linux, browser based, or .NET technologies, more power to them.

Yann Gilquin

Nov 15, 2007, 2:47:45 PM11/15/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
Obviously Mr AllPowertabs !
It's a good point to highlight that today softwares need to grow on
latest technologies (those you're quoting for example), and IMHO it's
almost impossible for one person to do it... only a group of motivated
people can do it. Brad, you could be the only one who could commit
into the project if you prefer, developers can provide patches/
improvements for identified bugs or lacks.

I really love the idea to have tomorrow some plugins to mak ptb files
viewable into web browsers (as scorch does) ! It could be a nice tool
to share personal music ideas online... to be continued.

Yann

On Nov 14, 6:19 pm, "allpowert...@gmail.com" <allpowert...@gmail.com>