Help!

eltufto

Dec 1, 2007, 3:16:13 AM12/1/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
Hey everyone,

I'm a very inexperienced programmer, I've worked extensively with C++
so I understand the syntax, but this has been primarily in University
assignments/small projects. This is my first time looking into a
program of this scope and I'm lost.

I have a project in mind where I'd like to get information sent in
real-time to control a graphical representation of a guitar
(eventually a robotic guitar). Chose PowerTab over MIDI as it
provides me with more useful data. So is there anything you could
suggest I look at to get a handle on this beast? Ideally I'd like to
start out with just a basic text based output of whatever is going on
as a song is read in proper tempo, so what note/chord is being played,
frets and strings pushed, etc.

Quite the request I know, but hopefully someone out there can help me
out.

Thanks,

Steve

Cacofonix

Dec 2, 2007, 6:14:05 AM12/2/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
Hi Steve,

I highly doubt there's any functionality built-in to pte to allow
that. You could look at doing that "in-game editors" do and watch
memory for changes indicating it's been played (this is a very stupid
idea imo). Your best bet is too use the open-source pt parser brad
released to parse a saved .ptb file to get the information you need
and play it back yourself.

Regards,
Mark

eltufto

Dec 8, 2007, 4:35:55 PM12/8/07
to Power Tab Developers Support
Perhaps I'm using the parser incorrectly then, as when I open a .ptb
file and run parse, I get a prompt telling me how long it took but
nothing else.

What I thought PTParser would be able to do for me was essentially
deliver objects read in from a file which I could then use, and that
this would happen in time with the song.

So for instance, a chord would be encountered within the song and all
relevant data would get encapsulated into an object. Is this in fact
possible?

Simone Tellini

Dec 9, 2007, 12:26:47 PM12/9/07
to powertab-...@googlegroups.com
eltufto ha scritto:

> What I thought PTParser would be able to do for me was essentially
> deliver objects read in from a file which I could then use, and that
> this would happen in time with the song.
>
> So for instance, a chord would be encountered within the song and all
> relevant data would get encapsulated into an object. Is this in fact
> possible?

PTParser provides the functions you need to read the ptb file and decode
its content, but it doesn't have any function you can use to "play" it.

You need to write your own algorithm that processes the objects read
from the file and gathers the data you need to perform your stuff. It's
not a trivial task.

--
Simone Tellini
http://www.tellini.org