targeting P3 and P4s

Sybase

May 28, 2003, 3:34:38 PM5/28/03
The version of Watcom C/C++ I'm using only knows about Pentium Pros. Which
option is better to assume when targeting a computer with a P3 or P4 ,
Pentium or Pentium Pro ?

The Pentium Pro of course was later than the Pentium, but by what I remember
it somewhat different than the other Pentium lines.

Thanks.

Sometimes your best move is blocked by your own checkers.

Stephen Howe

May 30, 2003, 10:42:21 AM5/30/03
> The version of Watcom C/C++ I'm using only knows about Pentium Pros.
Which
> option is better to assume when targeting a computer with a P3 or P4 ,
> Pentium or Pentium Pro ?

Pentium Pro

> The Pentium Pro of course was later than the Pentium, but by what I
remember
> it somewhat different than the other Pentium lines.

Your right. I find Intel's terms confusing. If they continued the old
labelling like 386,486 etc, we would have:

Pentium = 586
Pentium with MMX = 586, MMX
Pentium Pro = 686
Pentium II = 686, MMX
Pentium III = 686, MMX, EMMX, SSE
Pentium IV = 786???, MMX, EMMX, SSE, SSE2

So use /6 and /fp6 for the modern processors.

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]
London, UK