Crossposting: Problems with Debugging DOS-Executables

alex

Jun 8, 2003, 9:49:53 PM6/8/03
when I try to debug a DOS-Executable, I often get the message
"Unable to register server". Usually I can start the Debugger 3 or 4
times, but then the next time this Error-Message occures.
If the DOS-Debugger works, it is not possible to switch
between source and application, also the System always crashes
when I step into a function that expects keyboard-input, e.g. getch()
or kbhit().
Any suggestion?
Thanks,Alex.

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]

Jun 10, 2003, 2:12:37 PM6/10/03

Yes. More details required. Please see the standard questions after my name

Thanks

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]
London, UK

General reminder (READ THIS, IT IS NOT FOR SHOW):
1. Make sure you specify the version number of the product
2. Make sure you specify the host operating system
3. Make sure you specify the type of target executable

alex

Jun 11, 2003, 3:01:12 PM6/11/03
Stephen Howe [TeamSybase] schrieb:

Hi,
i'm working with WATCOM-IDE Version 11.0, host OS is Win98 and Target is
a 32-Bit DOS4GW.exe,
thank you,
Alex Kremer,
Frankfurt,Germany

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]

Jun 11, 2003, 4:05:45 PM6/11/03
> Hi,
> i'm working with WATCOM-IDE Version 11.0, host OS is Win98 and Target is
> a 32-Bit DOS4GW.exe

If you are truly working with Watcom 11.0 (the original) and not 11.0a,
11.0b, I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to 11.0c. This is free.
Here we are:

See
http://www.openwatcom.org/download/download_licenses.html
See
http://downloads.openwatcom.org/ftp/11.0c/c_readme.txt
for what has been fixed.

How are you debugging your app? There are 2 choices:

Choice 1
======

1. Open 2 DOS Command boxes
2. In one type

WINSERV /tr=rsi

2. In the other type

BINW\WD /tr=win yourapp.exe

Choice 2
======

For graphical apps, the above won't help. You need to boot Windows 98 in
MSDOS mode and then do

BINW\WD /tr=rsi yourapp.exe

alex

Jun 12, 2003, 10:39:20 PM6/12/03

> If you are truly working with Watcom 11.0 (the original) and not 11.0a,
> 11.0b, I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to 11.0c. This is free.
> Here we are:
>
> See
> http://www.openwatcom.org/download/download_licenses.html
> See
> http://downloads.openwatcom.org/ftp/11.0c/c_readme.txt
> for what has been fixed.
>
> How are you debugging your app? There are 2 choices:
>
> Choice 1
> ======
>
> 1. Open 2 DOS Command boxes
> 2. In one type
>
> WINSERV /tr=rsi
>
> 2. In the other type
>
> BINW\WD /tr=win yourapp.exe
>
> Choice 2
> ======
>
> For graphical apps, the above won't help. You need to boot Windows 98 in
> MSDOS mode and then do
>
> BINW\WD /tr=rsi yourapp.exe
>
> Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]
> London, UK

Thank you,

well,to be honest,i first tried to debug the DOS-app by clicking the
IDE-Debug-Icon, so your suggestion to boot in MSDOS mode and start
WD from the DOS-Prompt was the most important help for me...
I also upgraded to 11.0c and had no more system-crashes.

So everything is fine, excepting one point (i'm afraid this is another
boring newbie-question..):
My programm tries to read from a file that i created. But fopen() always
returns NULL (error-message:no such file or directory). This problem
only occures while debugging from the DOS-Prompt, via the IDE-Icon
the File can be opened. I tried debugging with the /localinfo switch,
without success,i'm not sure what to do,
Greetings,
Alex

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]

Jun 14, 2003, 1:54:28 PM6/14/03
> My programm tries to read from a file that i created.

Are you syre you created the file? Was the filename in 8.3 format?

alex

Jun 16, 2003, 11:44:49 AM6/16/03

I created the file with fopen("scores.sc","w"), so the filename is in
6.2 format,
greetings,Alex.