Does PB7 Support Multi-Monitor

Larry Chiu

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99

Does PB7 really support multi-monitors ? I got an answer from the general
group said that the PB7 support this feature but I could find any related
topic on the Powerbuilder help. Does anybody know how to implement that in
PB7 ? Thanks in advance.

Larry Chiu.

Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99

What kind of support are you looking for? Could you describe what
you are trying to accomplish?

--

Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]
mailto:bga...@dynamictechgroup.com

Dynamic Technology Group, Inc.
http://www.dynamictechgroup.com/

Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
It's an operating system issue, which could explain why it's not mentioned in
the help. To use multiple monitors, you have to have an operating system that
supports it (Windows 98(?), Windows 2000), and 2 or more video cards in your
machine. You then have to bring up the display properties dialog on your machine
and configure a primary and secondary monitor.

MSJ (Microsoft System Journal) -- http://www.microsoft.com/msj -- had a good
article about multiple monitor usage a while back. You can search their
archives.

---
pbm_hopethishelps,
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://www.sybase.com/sdn

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:15:56 +0800,

in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript
Larry Chiu <la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:
>Hi,

>Does PB7 really support multi-monitors ? I got an answer from the general
>group said that the PB7 support this feature but I could find any related
>topic on the Powerbuilder help. Does anybody know how to implement that in
>PB7 ? Thanks in advance.
>

>Larry Chiu.

Larry Chiu

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Hello Boris,

I am trying to write a program that can display different information on
each monitor. For example, display internal information for our internal
staff but different information for the client. Any idea how to do that ?
Thanks.

Larry Chiu.

Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] <NOSPAM...@dynamictechgroup.com> wrote in
message news:fk1aOEwoIw03ON...@4ax.com...

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:15:56 +0800, "Larry Chiu"
> <la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:
>

> >Does PB7 really support multi-monitors ? I got an answer from the
general
> >group said that the PB7 support this feature but I could find any related
> >topic on the Powerbuilder help. Does anybody know how to implement that
in
> >PB7 ? Thanks in advance.

Larry Chiu

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Hello Roy,

Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] <SPAM_FREE...@noblestar.com> wrote in message

> It's an operating system issue, which could explain why it's not mentioned
in
> the help. To use multiple monitors, you have to have an operating system
that
> supports it (Windows 98(?), Windows 2000), and 2 or more video cards in
your
> machine. You then have to bring up the display properties dialog on your
machine
> and configure a primary and secondary monitor.
>
> MSJ (Microsoft System Journal) -- http://www.microsoft.com/msj -- had a
good
> article about multiple monitor usage a while back. You can search their
> archives.
>
> ---
> pbm_hopethishelps,
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://www.sybase.com/sdn
>

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:15:56 +0800,

> in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript
> Larry Chiu <la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >

> >Does PB7 really support multi-monitors ? I got an answer from the
general
> >group said that the PB7 support this feature but I could find any related
> >topic on the Powerbuilder help. Does anybody know how to implement that
in
> >PB7 ? Thanks in advance.
> >

> >Larry Chiu.

Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 13:06:55 +0800, "Larry Chiu"
<la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:

>I am trying to write a program that can display different information on
>each monitor. For example, display internal information for our internal
>staff but different information for the client. Any idea how to do that ?
>Thanks.

The Multi-monitor support provided in win 98 is basically one large
virtual desktop which spans multiple monitors. Opening a window in a
second monitor is a matter of positioning it in a specific x, y
location.

The API calls below can help you determine how desktop is configured:

GetSystemMetrics, GetMonitorInfo, MonitorFromPoint, MonitorFromWindow
and MonitorFromRect.

GetSystemMetrics monitor constants are
Const SM_XVIRTUALSCREEN = 76 'Virtual Left
Const SM_YVIRTUALSCREEN = 77 'Virtual Top
Const SM_CXVIRTUALSCREEN = 78 'Virtual Width
Const SM_CYVIRTUALSCREEN = 79 'Virtual Height
Const SM_CMONITORS = 80 'Get number of monitors
Const SM_SAMEDISPLAYFORMAT = 81

An article Roy mentioned is probably a good resource for the API calls
above:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSJ/0697/monitor/monitor.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/MSJ/0697/monitor/monitortextfigs.htm

I am not sure if this is what you want. The desktop configuration is
typically under user control. I don't think you will be able to hide
internal information in a second monior. Perhaps a different
architecture is better suited for this purpose.

There may be another mode which allows the second monitor not to be a
part of a main desktop. I don't know much about that mode.

An article Roy mentioned is probably a good resource for the API calls
above:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSJ/0697/monitor/monitor.htm

Dave Fish [Team Sybase]

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
What you are asking for and our understanding of multiple monitors do
not seem to match. It sounds like you want to have different displays
based on the user type. If that is the case you just need to use a
conditional statement to display your data. Here's some psuedo code:

if ib_internal then
dw_1.dataobject = 'd_internal_data'
else
dw_1.dataobject = 'd_client_data'
end if

Regards,
Dave Fish [Team Sybase]

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:23:01 +0800, "Larry Chiu"
<la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:

>Hello Roy,

>I am trying to write a program that can display different information on
>each monitor. For example, display internal information for our internal
>staff but different information for the client. Any idea how to do that ?
>Thanks.

Larry Chiu

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Boris,

Thanks for your information.

message news:385dbda5....@forums.sybase.com...

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 13:06:55 +0800, "Larry Chiu"
> <la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to write a program that can display different information on
> >each monitor. For example, display internal information for our internal
> >staff but different information for the client. Any idea how to do that
?
> >Thanks.

Larry Chiu

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Hi Dave,

No, that is not what I want. I want to output different screen on different
monitor at the same time. For example, display the input screen for the
sales girl and display summary information like item description, price,
etc., on the customer display ( i.e. the second monitor ). Any idea ?

Larry Chiu.

Dave Fish [Team Sybase] <dave...@teamsybase.com> wrote in message

> What you are asking for and our understanding of multiple monitors do
> not seem to match. It sounds like you want to have different displays
> based on the user type. If that is the case you just need to use a
> conditional statement to display your data. Here's some psuedo code:
>
> if ib_internal then
> dw_1.dataobject = 'd_internal_data'
> else
> dw_1.dataobject = 'd_client_data'
> end if
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish [Team Sybase]
>

> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:23:01 +0800, "Larry Chiu"
> <la...@email.tech-trans.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello Roy,

> >I am trying to write a program that can display different information on
> >each monitor. For example, display internal information for our internal
> >staff but different information for the client. Any idea how to do that
?
> >Thanks.

Dave Fish [Team Sybase]

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Oh, I see what you mean now. Since they are coming from the same CPU,
I don't think there is any way to do that. Sorry, maybe someone else
has an idea.

Regards,
Dave Fish [Team Sybase]

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:38:02 +0800, "Larry Chiu"

Eric Aling [TeamSybase]

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Okay, may we hop in? I think with PB, this is not possible, I mean, we are
not able to send info to seperate screens. However, These days, if you have
a videocard that can be hooked to another videocard and your OS supports
multimonitor output, it should be possible but only in the following way:
make you application very wide so that it is displayed on both monitors, or
use two subapplications ( windows ) and move them so that the one will show
on the left monitor and the other on the right monitor. No real extra
programming has to be done, just move your window to the right monitor. It
ius the OS in combination with the video drivers that take care of this. Now
you have to decide which videocards you should buy. Only a few work okay,
some have two videoconnectors. Or you must have two cards, preferable of the
same brand.

HTH
--

- Eric Aling [TeamSybase]
Cypres Informatisering, an AVALIX company, The Netherlands

Dave Fish [Team Sybase] <dave...@teamsybase.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
385f4076...@192.168.0.1...

Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:13:13 +0100, "Eric Aling [TeamSybase]"
<NOSPAM_...@cypres.nl> wrote:

> Now you have to decide which videocards you should buy.

Matrox G400 Dual Head.

I got a G400 Max version few weeks ago and the Dual monitor mode works
fine, even on NT4. They also seem to be up-to-date with the latest
drivers. You don't need the Max, which runs at slightly higher
clock speed, has slightly faster refresh rates at higher resolutions
and better performance for 3D games. ...but if you are into 3D Matrox
is probably not a best choice. Matrox G400 is about $150. It will
let you use use the AGP slot, instead of PCI and save an interrupt.
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g400/applications/dh_main.htm

The only thing is it took me about 2 minutes in Dual monitor mode
before I got annoyed and switched back to one. Every window seems to
open across the no-mans land in between monitors. It looks like my son
will get a better monitor for X-mas...

Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
> The only thing is it took me about 2 minutes in Dual monitor mode
> before I got annoyed and switched back to one. Every window seems to
> open across the no-mans land in between monitors. It looks like my son
> will get a better monitor for X-mas...

That's because existing applications usually center their windows across the
screen. When programming for multiple-monitors, you have to set the XY
coordinates of a window at run-time so that it appears on a specific monitor
(response windows are the worse in this case). The XY coordinates are not
absolute anymore, but relative to the comined display area of all monitors,
so if at one point in your single-monitor days you were hiding sheets
byusing Move( -5000, -5000 ), you may find these sheets are still visible on
the NW corner of your left monitor...

--
pbm_hopethishelps,
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

Sybase Developers Network (SDN) - http:///www.sybase.com/sdn

Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Just an FYI,

The SystemParametersInfo API with SPI_GETWORKAREA as a parameter will return
the size of the combined workspace of all monitors in a RECT structure.