How to get Retrieval Arguments of a DataObject in Powerscript

Bernd Murr

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Hi everybody,

i 've a problem with Powerscript and dynamic Dataobject's in
Datawindows. But first here ist my Systemconfiguration:

Powerbuilder Enterprise 6.5 Build 444 and PFC (US-Version)
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 (German Version)

I made a Window with a Datawindow inherited from u_dw which is called
dw_danymic. In this DW the Dataobject's are set dynmically at runtime of
my application. These Dataobject's have different Retrieval Arguments
with different Datatypes. All these Dataobject are Grid/Tabular
Presentation Style without nested reports (but there are several with
DropDownDW's).
I searched now for several hours in the PB Online Books, the Sybase
Technical Libraries and in the Newsgroups but didn't find a way to
determine the Retrieval Arguments of one of those Dataobjects at
Runtime.
I tried to get the SQL-Select from the DW and search for every item
which begins with ":" but that is not exactly the way i want to do it
because i do not get the Dataype of the Retrieval Arguments.
Can anybody help me/does anybody know how to determine the Retrieval
Arguments and there Datatype of a Datawindow and set the Values of
theses Args ?
Which are the Datawindow Object properties to get/set the Retrieval
Arguments ?

If somebody can help it would be greatly appreciated (and excuse my bad
English, i'm a German Guy).

BFN
Bernd Murr

John De Lello

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
Hi Bernd,

It's not as simple as accessing a property. You need to use the Describe
function on the DW. Here is a snippet to get you started:

String ls_DWSyntax
Integer li_ArgStartPos

ls_DWSyntax = Lower (dw_Name.Describe ("DataWindow.Syntax"))

// Now you have the syntax to the DW, so you need to search for the
'Arguments' keyword to get
// the starting position of the arguments:
li_ArgStartPos= Pos (ls_DWSyntax , "arguments=((", 1)

// now you need to search ls_DWSyntax from li_ArgStartPos until you come
// across the closing ')' If you export your DW and look at the syntax
// you will see how the string is going to look. Something like:
// arguments=(("ra_cst_id", number)) )

HTH,

--
John De Lello
DelWare Consulting Group

Sign up for the PB-PFC e-mail list. Technical discussions on PBPFC related
topics only:
iMai...@DelWare.com with the message text of:
SUBSCRIBE PBPFC first last
(replace first and last with your name)

Other lists available are:
MSSQL - Microsoft SQL Server
SmallBusiness - Small business owner discussions
QuoteODay - Receive a quote each day from words of wisdom.

Nathan Theophanes

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
> Can anybody help me/does anybody know how to determine the Retrieval
> Arguments and there Datatype of a Datawindow and set the Values of
> theses Args ?
> Which are the Datawindow Object properties to get/set the Retrieval
> Arguments ?

Check out the PFC -- pfc_n_cst_dwsrv.of_GetArguments()

It will give you a list of the arguments and their datatypes.

--
Nathan Theophanes
CPD Pro 6

Bernd Murr

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Hi John,

first thank you for your tip. I got an E-Mail from Nathan Theophanes (Thank
you very much Nathan!). Unfortunately he didn't post his Message on this
Forum.
Nathan wrote i should check the PFC-Function of_GetArguments in n_cst_dwsrv. I
looked up this function and the Helpfile say's this function is obsolete, But
i found a function in the same class (of_DWArguments) which does right the
same you wrote in your message (searching for arguments in the DWSyntax). I
think i must be blind, that i didn't see this function, when i searched for
it.

BFN
Bernd Murr