Trial #2 canceled

John Collins

Jul 14, 2022, 4:35:01 PM7/14/22
to Power TAC support
Dear colleagues -

This is just to let you know that we will not run the trial scheduled to start next Monday, 18 July. There are three reasons for this:
  1. Only two teams have registered, TUC_TAC and IS3, both of which have successfully competed in the past.
  2. Running a trial takes time and atention from Govert and Erik in Roterdam, and from Wolf and from Me to monitor progress.
  3. We had hoped to have our 1.9 release finished before now. We are not ready, but we are close. What you will see in this release, is
    1. The household-customer model will not be configured into the standard server, because a fix for Issue #1102 has turned out to be much more complicated than we expected. At the same time, that model contributes little in terms of demand and regulation capacity to the overall simulation.
    2. A new model called residential_ev will be present. This model represents a configurable population of EV chargers installed in residential areas. The underlying data is from a firm in Norway that installs and manages chargers, primarily in multi-family housing developments. We will probably configure between 5000 and 10000 chargers (each serving probably 2-3 vehicles). They will offer substantial new demand and demand flexibility that should respond nicely to tariff design. We may need to increase overall wholesale capacity to accommodate this new demand; we'll know soon.
We spent way too much time trying to make the existing factored-customer model accommodate the behavior of storage devices, and ended up building a new model that's specifically designed to track the aggregate state of a population of storage/consumption devices. The model is essentially finished, but still needs some additional testing and analysis to determine its impact on the wholesale market.

We will keep you posted. We hope to have the release out before the end of July.

As always, don't hesitate to share your feedback, questions, and concerns.

John and Wolf