5.3: "Elementary, my dear Watson". First recorded use is 1912 and not 1915

mini...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2016, 4:28:42 AM3/15/16
to Power Searching with Google Course
I started the search by looking at the simple quote ["Elementary, my dear Watson"] with no restrictions. Lots of pages state that the first recorded use of the prhase is P. G. Wodehouses novel Psmith, Journalist.

However, I found an earlier use of the phrase: In 1912 it was used in the publication The SketchA Journal of Art and Actuality, Volume 77 with The Ingram Brothers as authors. I found the result by using the query ["Elementary, my dear Watson"] with the time restriction set for anything earlier than 1915. It is also possible to find another result from 1912. It has the same title but lists F. Barnard as author.

Tom

Jun 21, 2016, 10:37:22 AM6/21/16
to Power Searching with Google Course
Hello, searching in Google Books for the quote I found its use in The Municipal Year Book and Public Services Directory from 1898.

dul...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 11:52:01 AM6/21/16
to Power Searching with Google Course
I did it using the query ["Elementary, my dear Watson"] on Google Books and filtering results before 1912.
Link to the search: http://tinyurl.com/zbqxrzv
Link to the quote: http://tinyurl.com/gkrmkpy