3.4

felix...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2015, 6:29:23 AM7/26/15
to Power Searching with Google Course
Hi,

I just tried the query {"don't ask joe what it is to him"} on question 2 in chapter 3.4 and I always get the answer I did something wrong. I copy-pasted the query from the hint and at first it seemed to be identical.
When I placed both queries (mine and the hint's) on a word document, I think I found the issue:

"don't ask joe what it is to him” (my query)

"don’t ask joe what it is to him" (hint)

It seems, that the " ' " (#-key) is different in both queries. But seeing as I only have this one key to express the apostrophe, I don't know how to change my queries.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Have a good day,
Felix

Andy Wallace

Jul 28, 2015, 10:24:05 PM7/28/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, felix...@gmail.com
I had the same issue.

drussell

Jul 29, 2015, 12:12:57 PM7/29/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, felix...@gmail.com
Interesting...   When I copy/paste your query:  (see below)

     "don't ask joe what it is to him”

into my browser, it seems to work.

There ARE different kinds of quotes (e.g.,  '  vs.  "  vs. “  --and--  ” )

but whether or not they're "curly" quotes shouldn't matter.

Can you reply to this and post a screencap of what you're seeing that's wrong?

Thanks!

-- Dan

felix...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 4:24:34 PM7/29/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, drus...@google.com

Sure, here they are:

I probably did a poor job of explaining myself. I was experiencing the error, when I typed my query into the answer box.

Thanks for taking the time,

Felix

drussell

Jul 30, 2015, 7:34:33 AM7/30/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, felix...@gmail.com
Okay.  Thanks for posting those images.  NOW I see what's going on.  You're correct:  you're using the other kind of quotes.  I can fix the activity-checking code to accept the curly quotes, but I'm curious:  How do you enter them? Are you using the SHIFT+2 key (on the German keyboard) to enter both of the double quotes?  It should look like this:  [ "don't ask joe what it is to him" ]

Notice how both of the quotes are vertical (that is, "straight") quotes.

But in Felix' answer, he has it as:  [ "don't ask joe what it is to him ] where the second quote character is different than the first one.

Where did the curly quote come from?

Thanks
--Dan

drussell

Jul 30, 2015, 7:45:19 AM7/30/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, felix...@gmail.com, drus...@google.com
In particular, I think I've fixed it up to accept the straight AND curly double quotes.  I've tested it as best I can.  Could you please try it again and let me know if it works?

Many thanks...

-- Dan

felix...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2015, 8:49:36 AM7/30/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, drus...@google.com

The problem seems to remain.. I tried zooming in as much as I could and I can't tell the difference wether my quotation marks are curly or not.

Weird error..

Felix

Dan Russell (17)

Jul 30, 2015, 2:09:39 PM7/30/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, drus...@google.com, felix...@gmail.com
Okay... I THINK it was a problem in my code.  Try it now, and see if you can make it work.  (I tested it with your string, so it should work.  But having YOU test it is really the only way to make sure.)

Thanks.

-- Dan

felix...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2015, 4:34:08 PM7/30/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, drus...@google.com, searched...@gmail.com
Dr Russel,
You've done it! My answer is now accepted.

Thanks, and have a good day,
Felix

Jeffrey Deutsch

Aug 1, 2015, 2:27:45 PM8/1/15
to Power Searching with Google Course, drus...@google.com, felix...@gmail.com
Hello,

I still get this problem with Question 2.

Also, Question 5 has a similar problem. I answered:

["non-trucking liability" OR bobtail OR "deadhead coverage"]

and variants thereof, and it still marks me wrong.

Please see attached screenshots for both. Thank you very kindly!
Don't ask Joe what it is to him.png
Non-trucking liability.png

cesh...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2015, 2:07:01 PM9/4/15
to Power Searching with Google Course
Same problem here.

Questions 2 and 5 in 3.4 activity.

I use those quotes: " "

Portuguese Keyboard (SHIFT + ' ) --> http://www.gamerhouse.com.br/layout/images/portugues.png

Awesome course Dan. Many Thanks.

ivana...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2016, 10:01:59 AM2/14/16
to Power Searching with Google Course

one tip that can serve this case, using the word editor there find the difference for acvtividad 3.4 . Question No. 2

ivana...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2016, 10:02:17 AM2/14/16
to Power Searching with Google Course

Sumas Kunjina

Jul 9, 2016, 8:19:20 AM7/9/16
to Power Searching with Google Course
My query
"Don't ask joe what it is to him"
Screen Shot 2559-07-09 at 7.17.00 PM.png