Space Solar Power Project Ends First In-Space Mission with Successes and Lessons | www.caltech.edu

k.a.c...@sympatico.ca

Jan 18, 2024, 7:59:35 AMJan 18
to power-satell...@googlegroups.com

Claudio Cioffi

Jan 18, 2024, 9:58:41 AMJan 18
to k.a.c...@sympatico.ca, power-satell...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for this. Would you know of any associated science/technical papers on this specific Caltech project?

–––
Claudio Cioffi-Revilla, Ph.D., D.Sc.Pol.
University Distinguished Professor Emeritus, George Mason University
Jefferson Science Fellow of the U.S.A. National Academy of Sciences
Elected Fellow of the  American Association for the Advancement of Science AAAS

Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Claudio_Cioffi
Academic page: https://socialcomplexity.gmu.edu/faculty/csc-faculty-dr-cioffi/
National Academies page:   http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Jefferson/PGA_046486
ORCID https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6445-9433

Tim Cash

Jan 18, 2024, 11:29:38 AMJan 18
to Claudio Cioffi, k.a.c...@sympatico.ca, power-satell...@googlegroups.com
I used Google, and for the first page of hits, here are the relevant articles I found.

Caltech Space Solar Power Experiment Results

https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/space-solar-power-project-ends-first-in-space-mission-with-successes-and-lessons#:~:text=The%20spaceborne%20testbed%20demonstrated%20the,and%20hold%20the%20aforementioned%20solar

https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/in-a-first-caltechs-space-solar-power-demonstrator-wirelessly-transmits-power-in-space

https://www.spacesolar.caltech.edu/

https://magazine.caltech.edu/post/sspp-space-solar-power-project

https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/caltech-to-launch-space-solar-power-technology-demo-into-orbit-in-january

https://newatlas.com/energy/space-solar-power-transmission-test-caltech/

https://www.its.caltech.edu/~sslab/PUBLICATIONS/2022%20IEEE%20Paper%20%231570826333.pdf

https://time.com/6283990/scientists-solar-power-from-space/

https://www.engadget.com/space-based-solar-power-first-successful-experiment-caltech-000046036.html

I have participated in the design of power beaming via creation of power beaming link budgets, several.
Let us just say the overall power beaming efficiency I have computed needs improvement.
Until we start using multiple band energy gaps across multiple materials energy band gaps, it will remain less than stellar.
What we need is "unobtainium", which is still to this day, "unobtainable".

Tim Cash

corne...@earthlink.net

Jan 18, 2024, 11:34:30 AMJan 18
to Claudio Cioffi, k.a.c...@sympatico.ca, power-satell...@googlegroups.com
image001.jpg

Claudio Cioffi

Jan 18, 2024, 12:01:29 PMJan 18
to corne...@earthlink.net, k.a.c...@sympatico.ca, power-satell...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Charlie. I’ve looked at these and the point in the right direction. But what I am looking for are papers that describe the mathematics of how these systems work. For example, system reliability functions or hazard rate functions, or other mathematical expressions/models—i.e., “under the hood” formalisms. In particular, I am interested in finding multivariable “hybrid functions" that contain a mix of continuous independent variables *and* discrete independent variables or parameters. A very simple example for the system reliability R of an m-parallel system would be the well-known basic equation:
R = 1 – (1 – r)^m, where r is the “average” reliability of the m redundant components; r being continuous and m being discrete.
I imagine the Caltech SSP Project (and other similar projects) is quite a complex system that contains numerous instances of these “hybrid functions”. There must be papers on this so I thought members of this list may know of some. If not I will write to the PIs directly.

Again, many thanks
Claudio
–––
Claudio Cioffi-Revilla, Ph.D., D.Sc.Pol.
University Distinguished Professor Emeritus, George Mason University
Courtesy Faculty, Florida International University
Jefferson Science Fellow of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences
Elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science AAAS

On Jan 18, 2024, at 11:34 AM, corne...@earthlink.net wrote:

Hi Claudio
Here are two articles out of many

Try using google scholar https://scholar.google.com/ for searches
Charlie

k.a.c...@sympatico.ca

Jan 19, 2024, 12:08:08 AMJan 19
to power-satell...@googlegroups.com

There have been a number of news articles about this project over the past few years; if you’re able to look through the archive of this mailing list, you’ll also find several discussions of it. Myself, I haven’t gone looking for published papers and presentations, but the people doing this work are academics (who must publish or perish), and so I’m sure that if you google around a bit, you’ll be able to find some publications of theirs about this.