Re: Digest for power-satellite-economics@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Geoffrey Landis

Jan 3, 2023, 2:08:39 PM1/3/23
to power-satell...@googlegroups.com
I don’t think space solar power was ever considered impossible.

It was, however, considered “not economically feasible with current technology.” Which is not at all the same.

Geoffrey A. Landis

On Jan 3, 2023, at 12:17 PM, power-satell...@googlegroups.com wrote:

<k.a.c...@sympatico.ca>: Jan 03 07:13AM -0500

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2023/01/02/caltech-spacex-plan-launch-of-sp
ace-solar-power-project/
Tim Cash <cash...@gmail.com>: Jan 03 08:43AM -0500

OMG, an idea just "popped" into my head. That idea being that if "space
solar power", once the area of science fiction, was
considered "impossible", and now is NOT, then what else may fall into that
category?
Faster than light travel? Teleportation? Placing human consciousness into
an immortal, artificial body?
I also note that Elon Musk is launching this space solar power payload on
his rocket, him being an unbeliever in space solar power?
That means to me that perhaps one's view of impossibility or possibility
depends entirely on one's frame of reference?
This is my revelation for this year of 2023, perhaps nothing is impossible
if one can only envision the possibility?
Wow!

--

Tim Cash

cash...@gmail.com

John K. Strickland, Jr.

Jan 3, 2023, 2:35:07 PM1/3/23
to Geoffrey Landis, power-satell...@googlegroups.com

I am not sure I ever heard someone use the “I” word.

Since the late 70’s, the radical “greens” (they were not yet even called that) such as Amory Lovins used a variety of arguments such as giving Mankind too much power for our own good, that the SPS system would heat up the Earth more than other systems,  that it exemplified “hubris”,  that it was too capitalistic, too large (NOT small is beautiful), etc. and too expensive based on the launch costs then.

This last, non-ideological argument was actually true.

Things have now changed.

John S