srsLTE tutorial; open srsGUI

Leo Vassalo

May 22, 2023, 9:02:54 AM5/22/23
to Powder Users
Greetings all, I am new to the platform and I amd trying to get to know it better.

I was following the steps from the srs tutorial and I stumbled upon a rather simple problem: I do not know how to open the srsGUI.

First of all, the instructions were not so clear to me. Is the srsGUI already built on the profile used? Should I build them and then rebuild the srsLTE software?

The second problem is : when running the srsLTE commnad on my desktop, a new window with the GUI pops out on the screen. Is there any way I can see this window when running them on the node shell?

Also, should I be able to create a network namespace in order to run separate instances of a UE and a eNB, like indicated in this tutorial?

Thank you for your support!
Leonardo

Kirk Webb

May 22, 2023, 11:00:57 AM5/22/23
to powder...@googlegroups.com
Hello Leo,

You cannot run GUI applications from in-browser shell sessions via the
POWDER Portal UI. Instead, you will want to create an SSH keypair for
interaction with POWDER, and upload the public portion via the PORTAL
web UI (click your username in the upper right, and select "Manage SSH
Keys"). This way you can log in to nodes directly from your local
machine (desktop/laptop), and assuming you are running an X11 server,
you can open remote GUI applications over SSH sessions (be sure to
forward your X display, either by editing your SSH config to do so, or
by passing the `-Y` flag on the command line). The base SSH command
for logging in to a given POWDER compute node is shown in the "SSH
command" column of your experiment's "list view".

See section 5.1.3 and 5.1.4 here in the POWDER manual:

http://docs.powderwireless.net/users.html#%28part._ssh-access%29

You should be able to pass --gui.enable=true to the UE and/or eNB
applications (on the command line) to pop up a GUI interface.

As for the separate namespaces for UE/eNB instances, I'm not sure we
have tested this in the context of the `srsLTE-SIM` profile, but you
can give it a try.

-Kirk