Issue with USRP of indoor lab OTA nuc-3

Leonardo Bonati

May 11, 2022, 10:53:40 AM5/11/22
to Powder Users
To Whom It May Concern,

I believe there might be some issues driving the USRP B210 of nuc-3 of the indoor OTA lab. I experienced the following overflow errors. (Maybe a faulty USB 3.0 cable?)

RF status: O=6, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=6, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=8, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=6, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0
RF status: O=7, U=0, L=0

Thanks,
Leonardo

Dustin Maas

May 11, 2022, 11:07:30 AM5/11/22
to Powder Users

Hi Leonardo,

Sounds like the B210 might be connected via USB2. You can check by looking at the output of uhd_usrp_probe. If you find that it is, you can try power cycling the ota-nuc3.

-Dustin

Kirk Webb

May 11, 2022, 11:07:50 AM5/11/22
to powder...@googlegroups.com
Do you have anything running on that node currently which is using the
device? I don't see anything obvious, but I am unable to successfully
query the device.

Kirk Webb

May 11, 2022, 11:11:04 AM5/11/22
to powder...@googlegroups.com
To add to what Dustin said, I was able to probe the radio, and can
confirm that has erroneously come up in USB 2 mode:

root@ota-nuc3:~# uhd_usrp_probe
[INFO] [UHD] linux; GNU C++ version 7.5.0; Boost_106501;
UHD_4.0.0.0-2ubuntu1emulab2
[INFO] [B200] Detected Device: B210
[INFO] [B200] Operating over USB 2.

As Dustin says, a power cycle of the NUC should fix this. You can
click the node in the topology few in the web UI and select "power
cycle" there. It is unknown why these B210 radios sometimes come up
in USB 2 mode.

-Kirk
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/powder-users/0BBDA091-908A-41C4-87C6-DA10FEEBC423%40gmail.com.

Leonardo Bonati

May 11, 2022, 11:13:07 AM5/11/22
to Powder Users
Hi Kirk and Dustin,

I don’t have anything running right now. I experienced this issue yesterday while running srsLTE. For what is worth, nuc-1 and nuc-2 were working without issues.

I agree with Dustin that this may be due to a USB 2.0 cable (instead of USB 3.0), if this is what is connecting the B210 to the NUC.

Regards,
Leonardo

Dustin Maas

May 11, 2022, 11:22:01 AM5/11/22
to Powder Users

Hi Leonardo,

The radio is definitely connected with a USB3 cable, but every once in a while these B210s will negotiate a USB2 connection at boot. We’re not sure why this happens, but power cycling the associated compute node will almost always fix the problem.

-Dustin