Ubuntu 22 Disk Images + how to look them up

Ryan W. West

Apr 18, 2023, 10:38:13 PM4/18/23
to Powder Users
I'm using the srsran-rf-bench profile to try building and installing the new 5G srsRAN project, but it requires Ubuntu 22.04

The images currently use:
LOWLAT_IMG = "urn:publicid:IDN+emulab.net+image+PowderTeam:U18LL-SRSLTE" UBUNTU_IMG = "urn:publicid:IDN+emulab.net+image+emulab-ops//UBUNTU18-64-STD"

I'd like to get versions of these for Ubuntu 22.04 in order to build, install, and run the new 5G srsRAN project, which needs the latest LTS release (https://docs.srsran.com/projects/project/en/latest/user_manuals/source/installation.html).

I'm curious if there are any Ubuntu 22.04 images already created, as well as how I can look up the existing available images in the future?

Dustin Maas

Apr 18, 2023, 11:58:49 PM4/18/23
to Powder Users

Hi Ryan,

You are getting ahead of the testing that I’ve been able to do, but FWIW, I built the new srsRAN project today using Ubuntu 20.04, which we do have an existing image for (urn:publicid:IDN+emulab.net+image+emulab-ops//UBUNTU20-64-STD). The supporting scripts for the profile in question will likely fail if you supply that image as an “advanced” parameter, so you’ll need to manually build UHD and then build the srsRAN project against it to proceed, but that should serve as a reasonable starting point.

Note that I haven’t yet tested any SDR-based or COTS UEs against this new srsRAN release yet, so YMMV regardless of a successful srsRAN build. That said, I’m actively working on testing this release and I hope to add profiles that use it in the near future.

-Dustin

Ryan W. West

Apr 19, 2023, 5:56:02 PM4/19/23
to Powder Users
Thanks, I can try building it with that. I presume you just followed the usual instructions for Ubuntu 22.04 on https://docs.srsran.com/projects/project/en/latest/user_manuals/source/installation.html and it worked? Am I safe to not create or use a low latency version (LOWLAT) for any device (gNB node nor UE node)?

Dustin Maas

Apr 19, 2023, 6:01:11 PM4/19/23
to Powder Users

Yep. Just followed the 22.04 instructions. Start with the default kernel and move to a low-latency kernel if you see real-time issues with SDRs.