Errors with rl_ofdm_downlink_miso with MEB Rooftop

Chinenye Tassie

May 10, 2022, 2:45:58 PM5/10/22
to Powder Users
Hello,

I am trying to run the rl_odfm_downlink_miso.m script but I am getting errors. I have seen this error sometime in the past and I know that sometimes the error appears but I don't know why it doesn't appear other times. I have tried running the script multiple times and the error persisted. Here is the error below:
Screenshot from 2022-05-10 13-26-37.png

Here are the steps I implemented :
1. Open a bash terminal
2. ssh using -X and -p options
3. Check calibration for BS IDs and UEs : python3 iris_py.py --serial-id1="RF3E000117" --serial-id2="RF3E000353" --freq=3.6e9 --txGain=75 --rxGain=65. Where serial_id1 is the BS id and serial_id2 is UE id. Command works without errors.
4. Modify rl_ofdm_downlink_miso.m with the appropriate HUB ID, BS IDs and UE ID.
5. Run: /usr/local/MATLAB/R2021a/bin/matlab -nosplash -nodesktop
6. Run rl_odfm_downlink_miso

I have confirmed that the IDs match the topology by running "python3 -m pyfaros.discover" Here is  snippet of the IDs in the miso.m file. I am using Chain 2:1 here but I have also tested with chain 1:1 and 1:2
Screenshot from 2022-05-10 14-38-02.png
Here are snippets of the topology output:
Screenshot from 2022-05-10 13-29-00.png

Screenshot from 2022-05-10 13-29-02.png

Thank you for your assistance. I have a reservation until 7pm so I can real-time test any suggestions.

Oscar Bejarano

May 10, 2022, 3:36:36 PM5/10/22
to powder...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chinenye,

I believe you are missing a zero in the hub serial. can you please try that?
Feel free to email me directly if you find any other issues.
We are actually working on overhauling that entire script.
We are switching to an explicit sounding implementation instead of implicit (we've found the time-scales with Matlab are far from ideal when it comes to reciprocity calibration.

Best,

-Oscar

Chinenye Tassie

May 10, 2022, 4:04:27 PM5/10/22
to Powder Users
Thank you for catching that. I'll email you because that did not fix the error.

Oscar Bejarano

May 10, 2022, 4:38:31 PM5/10/22
to powder...@googlegroups.com, Chinenye Tassie

For all mMIMO users, a very common error you'll get when running any of the scripts is this:

SoapyRemoteDevice() -- missing URL

This is a limitation in the discovery process used by the SoapySDR library we use to communicate with the hardware.
The solution is to first try re-running the script right away, this works almost 100% of the time.

However, if the error persists, try to verify all serial number you are using, including the hub serial.
This is a very common issue and most of the time we find some sort of mismatch in the serials being used.

Thanks Chinenye for bringing this to our attention.

Best,
-Oscar