Makers Central 2019 Opportunity

Christopher Smith

Aug 8, 2018, 7:54:46 AM8/8/18
to Potteries Hackspace
Hi all!

I wanted to contact some of you directly as space is filling up fast at Makers Central and some of you might not read the UK hackerspace forum.

As posted on the UK hackerspace forum:

This year Makers Central2 at the Birmingham NEC was a complete blast with over 6000 people attending, loads of big names and everybody had an amazing time. The makerspace and hackerspace presence however was poor especially since the organisers kindly gave us some space to use.

I represented Southampton Makerspace along with my fellow member James Bruton and while obviously, we did not get many new members for Southampton at an event in Birmingham, we found ourselves as unofficial ambassadors for hackerspaces and makerspaces and sent people to their local space.

2019s event is a long way away but I’ve been speaking to the organisers about having a large joint stand representing makerspaces and hackerspaces from around the country. This means if a group doesn’t turn up there should still be enough cover for the stand and we don’t disappoint the organizers. It also means a few people could run a workshop or little event or just go and walk around the show leaving enough people to cover the stand.

So far they agree the idea is great and are willing to give us some space at the event!

To get some numbers, are there any hakerspaces or makerspaces interested in having a shared presence at the event or if not, having their own stand?

Please let me know either here by mailing Ch...@somakeit.org.uk

If you have any ideas of things we can do, workshops that could be run at the stand they would also be welcome.

Thanks all!