release 0.1 ?

Reini Urban

May 30, 2013, 11:27:52 AM5/30/13
to potio...@googlegroups.com
I want to release potion-0.1, even without some missing features.
Besides some env specific fragilities (tests fail if run from make, but pass from the shell)
it looks good.

I fixed the release targets and wrote a script to prepare binary packages
for linux i686 + x86_64, darwin x86_64, mingw x86_64 + i686
(mingw cross-compiled on linux or darwin),
for now seperated into binary potion and potion-devel packages.

near term plans (0.2 - 0.5)
- generate doxygen docs as in http://perl11.org/p2/html/ (done, but not sure if you like it)
- ffi (call and callback done; convert args, windows stddecl, evtl. header parser)
- compile to c and native
- debugger
- io (sockets, pipes, net)
- namespaces for dynamically scoped variables and something to
  hold compile-time declarations (const and type optimizations, method inlining)

longer term plans (1.0)
- threads: coros, thread-safe gc
  (only the owning P may update shared variables, via priotized coros and marked as proxy/fwd type)
- high precision math
- arm jit
- sandboxing
- more libs (ui, db, ...)
- more examples

questions:
- I'm not sure if we should already add doxygen docs to the release.
  In my p2 branch I annotated all methods and it looks pretty good to me.
  I'm not sure about the color.

- webpage:
  I have my own p2 webpage update target, but for potion I guess
  http://fogus.github.io/potion/ is not triggered automatically.
  We need to add some download location (sf.net?), and the additional and fixed documentation.
  e.g. we do have error handling and floating point math already. http://fogus.github.io/potion/

- only one package or split into potion and potion-devel?
  we need for sure only one now, but I wonder if we should already provide a -devel pkg
  which adds the missing parts form the src package: greg, static binaries, all headers, doc sources.

Reini

Fogus

May 30, 2013, 3:02:31 PM5/30/13
to potio...@googlegroups.com

I want to release potion-0.1, even without some missing features.

I've played around with the version on MASTER and it seems pretty good.  Do you have a version floating around that has not been merged?

near term plans (0.2 - 0.5)
- generate doxygen docs as in http://perl11.org/p2/html/ (done, but not sure if you like it)

I think it's better than what we have now.  We can iterate on those docs over time.

- namespaces for dynamically scoped variables and something to
  hold compile-time declarations (const and type optimizations, method inlining)

What is your thinking regarding namespacing?

longer term plans (1.0)
- high precision math

Is this an essential?  Since Potion is intended as an embeddable language do you feel that this would make things too heavy weight?

questions:
- I'm not sure if we should already add doxygen docs to the release.
  In my p2 branch I annotated all methods and it looks pretty good to me.
  I'm not sure about the color.

I'm not concerned about the colors as that can be fixed.  I'd like to add the doxygen docs to the release.
Lovely.

  We need to add some download location (sf.net?), and the additional and fixed documentation.

I've not used SF for downloading.  Do you have experience with it?