Content-disposition for inbound attachments

Michael Kaiser

Jul 30, 2013, 8:02:32 AM7/30/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

in order to differentiate between "real" attachments and the typical footer logos etc. would be necessary to have access to the content-disposition (i.e.: inline or attachment) mime header.

Do you plan to include the disposition along with the type and size headers any time soon? This is really a crucial feature for us.

Regards
Michael

JP Toto

Jul 30, 2013, 9:04:32 AM7/30/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

The inline images will have the ContentID filled out while attachments that are disposition "attachment" will have no data in the ContentID field. You should be able to test on that.

- JP

Michael Kaiser

Jul 30, 2013, 11:43:37 AM7/30/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi JP,

thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, the ContentId is filled out regardless of the disposition (the MUA is Outlook, btw).

Cheers
Michael

JP Toto

Jul 30, 2013, 11:52:06 AM7/30/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

I just tried a test with a regular, non-inline attachment. The ContentID was empty. Keep in mind that if footer images are inline as many are, the disposition of that image will be inline and having the extra field won't be helpful since it will show as inline just like the others.

- JP

Michael Kaiser

Jul 30, 2013, 4:51:31 PM7/30/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
 Hi JP,

in my tests the content id was set for both. I guess it depends on the sending MUA. And, I do expect the footer images to be marked as inline. It's the files with "content-disposition: attachment" I'm interested in! We are offering our users the option to mail in scanned documents (which can be pdf or picture files). So I want to skip the (in our case irrelevant) inline pictures and only process the one that are proper attachments.

Michael

Robert Rawlins

Jul 31, 2013, 2:26:26 AM7/31/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I have an app which works on a very similar premise to yours, designed for receiving invoices from suppliers.

We couldn't find a reliable method for dealing with signature images so in the end we enforced a PDF only policy for documents, and we simply ignore any other format attachments. If someone emails without at least 1 PDF we reply with an automated notice to ask then to ensure all attachments are in PDF.

Might not work for your use case, but it's working very well for us.

Robert

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Postmark API Developers" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/postmark-api-developers.

Support Time Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 06527328. Registered office: 145-157, St. John Street , London, EC1V 4PW.

Michael Kaiser

Jul 31, 2013, 6:03:26 AM7/31/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert!

We thought about that, however, we want to give the users the chance to snap pictures of paper receipts. Most phones only produce jpgs. We could possibly restrict to pdf and jpg, getting rid of most non essential graphics (which are usually gif or png).

That said, I think postmark should really consider to provide the content-disposition header field.

Michael

JP Toto

Jul 31, 2013, 11:34:54 AM7/31/13
to postmark-ap...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

That's interesting that different mail clients are showing various dispositions. I'll add the attachment disposition to our discussions here and see if we want to add that to the attachment arrays. Thanks for the feedback!

- JP
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to postmark-api-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.