Fw: [Postcards from Manila] #309 Taksay at Dusk

Bobby Wong Jr.

Mar 6, 2016, 6:33:39 PM3/6/16
to AA PFM Mailing List

Heave... Heave... Heave...

Much like many other places in our country where the coastline is shallow, fishermen carefully lower a long floating net in a circular arc across the bay. A team of villagers would then slowly heave both ends of the long net until it is completely pulled ashore. This is called Taksay here in Antique, aptly named after the net that is used.

In Culasi in Antique, up to 10 teams work the shore every day. On good days, they'll fill up to 7 pails of small fish. This evening, most teams collected only five each. Not too shabby for a few hours work. Life is simple here. And they will be back at it tomorrow. Enjoy.

Pixel-peepers: When it isn't bright enough to take a photograph, try switching vantage points and shoot directly into the light, rendering your subjects as silhouettes.

Sign-up
 to receive
new postcards weekly by email
Past postcards at www.PostcardsFromManila.com
Say helloBobb...@yahoo.com
But wait, there's more...
For those who've inquired about buying prints of my postcards, you may purchase them directly from master printmaker Arnel Murillo (murill...@yahoo.com), one of the country's foremost fine-art printmakers.  Arnel uses archival inks and museum-grade paper to ensure his prints will not fade. You will not be disappointed. (All my images are provided gratis to help showcase the beauty of our country. But if you feel generous, help me uplift the lives of the Children of Payatas.  No donation is too big or too small. Get in touch with Fr. Aldrin Suan at aldri...@yahoo.com of the Vincentian Missionaries in the Philippines. As always, thanks and enjoy.)

--
Posted By Blogger to Postcards from Manila at 2/15/2016 07:44:00 PM