Re: Where can I find an online anti-virus that doesn't install on your PC?

1 view
Message has been deleted

Nathan Cravens

Sep 23, 2009, 4:09:58 PM9/23/09
to post-scarcity-agal...@googlegroups.com
Here's to abundance preservation! ;)

Try all of these

If those do not work re-install a version of your preferred operating system and install:

Spybot Search & Destroy. Its free and works well for me.
Please contact me directly if you have any further problems as this is somewhat off topic. ;p

Nathan

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM, annmariabouck38178 <annmariab...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got 5 PCs that I'm trying to use to train disadvantaged young
people. The problem is they are riddled with viruses and a firewall
blocks me from updating them. The people in charge of maintaining the
PCs won't fix them or give me the admin password (Win XP) to let me
install a new or updated antivirus the centre is being shut down in a
few months.

If they were working, I could still do a lot with them, so I've been
looking for a good online virus scan - but they all try to download a
little .exe onto your PC first, and the settings on the PCs won't
allow that.

Suggestions? Solutions? Links?

Dante-Gabryell Monson

Sep 23, 2009, 4:42:24 PM9/23/09
to post-scarcity-agal...@googlegroups.com
If you stay with Windows, then I d suggest this free and open source anti virus

http://www.clamwin.com/

Although... my own suggestion would be to install Ubuntu Linux to replace Windows...

If you have a good internet connection, it is possible to download a copy and burn it on a cd as an image / iso ( or ask someone to do so for you if you feel novice ).

http://www.ubuntu.com/

With this CD, you can easily install Ubuntu Linux on each of the computers.
Or if you do not want to install it on the hard disk yet, you can boot on the Ubuntu cd, and try Ubuntu directly from the live cd.

And if you do decide to install Ubuntu on the hard disk,
although it is possible to choose for a "double boot" ( that means keeping a partition on your hard disk for Win ),
I would rather recommend to let the installation of Ubuntu format the hard disk / use the whole Hard disk for Ubuntu - so before probably you would want to make a backup of data you would need that would be on the hard disk.

In the case you do not find a good internet connection where you are, you can ask for a copy of Ubuntu to be shipped to you :

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

You do not need a anti virus once you use Ubuntu Linux as Operating System.

Cordially,

Dante

Bryan Bishop

Sep 23, 2009, 6:03:34 PM9/23/09
to post-scarcity-agal...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Nathan Cravens wrote:
> Here's to abundance preservation! ;)

Nathan, that email has been sent out to multiple mailing lists on
Google Groups over the past few days. It's spam. I am actually
surprised you fell for it.. :-).

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Nathan Cravens

Sep 23, 2009, 7:47:10 PM9/23/09
to post-scarcity-agal...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
Dammit Bryan, I'm trying to keep their eye off the ball!! :P
You just shush and keep workn!
Therefore, I'm sorry you fell for it!

Nathan

chitagutierres97607

Sep 24, 2009, 6:36:56 AM9/24/09
to Post Scarcity Agalmics Journal Launch

I usually use this one http://pmcware.com/freedowns