Internet Infrastructure NOT ready for abundance?

marc fawzi

Feb 4, 2009, 8:15:42 PM2/4/09
to Post Scarcity Agalmics Journal Launch, postsc...@googlegroups.com, Michel Bauwens

As you know, Comcast and others have attempted or are continuing to throttle P2P traffic, so how can abundance in so-called "pirated" music and videos be sustainable? Even if the artists want to give them for free which would require them to host it via BitTorrent so they don't end up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in hosting and bandwidth fees they will not be able to do that on sustainable basis because ISPs control the medium and they can shut down or throttle P2P file transfers.

I do like how BitTorrent moved to UDP for file transfer but the ISPs can shut down UDP traffic too, so it's a game of cat and mouse and can never be sustainable.

So I guess the question is: can we have sustainable abundance in digital content using the existing Internet?

My argument is that there is a need for a P2P Internet or World Wide Mesh in order to give us autonomy from control of the Internet by a few large players