Just wondering if this App still works (May 2017)

Andrew Kendall

May 16, 2017, 7:10:26 PM5/16/17
to Portable Update
I used this several times in the past and it worked fairly quick. Recently I reinstalled Windows 8.1 and tried PortUp again and the search phase does nothing after almost 2 days of waiting. The initial run downloaded the wsusscn2.cab and two WindowsUpdateAgent files.

I have switched to the Search Tab, clicked on Search and that is as far as it has gone. It has been over 24 hours for sure, actually getting close to the 40 hour mark now.

Z3R0_OS

May 17, 2017, 8:02:27 AM5/17/17
to Portable Update
Do you have internet enabled on the system to which you have Portupdate running

Jaime Babcock

Jun 26, 2017, 12:00:58 AM6/26/17
to Portable Update
I have a similar problem updating Windows Vista
Message has been deleted

eohrnberger

Jun 26, 2017, 7:30:14 PM6/26/17
to Portable Update
Yeah, seeing that behavior with the one or two XP machines I have around yet, but on Windows 10 it seems to be working pretty quick.

I'm thinking it may be the MS backend and not the app.

eohrnberger

Jun 26, 2017, 9:07:23 PM6/26/17
to Portable Update
I found that you can download the CAB file directly, which seems to work better than downloading it through PortUp:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/microsoftupdate/v6/wsusscan/wsusscn2.cab

Z3R0_OS

Jun 27, 2017, 6:47:47 AM6/27/17
to Portable Update
 I don't think this application is capable of working offline at all

eohrnberger

Jun 12, 2018, 7:18:02 PM6/12/18
to Portable Update
I don't think that this app is being supported anymore.

Does anyone have any evidence that counters this impression?

mzla...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2018, 4:26:32 AM11/18/18
to Portable Update
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 08:48:02 UTC+9:30, eohrnberger wrote:
I don't think that this app is being supported anymore.

Does anyone have any evidence that counters this impression?

I still use it (Windows 7 Pro), both at home & for other people that are unable to update (being offline or have limited download).

I also use wsusoffline with PortUp - sometimes one installs an update when the other does not. However, I am now recently preferring wsusoffline as it has a feature where you can automatically reboot & continue update afterwards continuously until completed.

Unfortunately, one PC I updated had Office installed so now PortUp downloads Office updates too (which I don't want but I guess it comes in handy for other people & I have many unused USB thumbdrives).

I now use PortUp every once in a while to check if wsusoffline has missed anything.