Re: New Meetup Plan?

1 view

Kotra D

Mar 5, 2012, 12:02:39 AM3/5/12
to PortlandWiki | A City Wiki For Portland, Oregon
Interesting idea, Dave! This is the first I'd heard of "Our School"... does it have a consistent location for people to have meetings? Does the location have wifi?

I'm not sure if a teach-in is something we could organize by this coming Wednesday. Perhaps we could spend some time this Wednesday planning it, if we all agree it's something to spend our Wednesdays with? Also, I think this sort of thing might be better to do monthly; I doubt we'd have a large enough crowd for weekly teach-ins, or the volunteer ability to prepare in advance.

Could we do something that's more like our current meetings some of the time, either on other Wednesdays, or an additional day like Mondays? I value the more casual, unstructured meetings as well.

kotra

On 12-03-04 06:59 PM, Dave Myers - Open Forest Consortium wrote:
Sounds great!

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Kotra D <kotr...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12-03-04 04:41 PM, Dave Myers - Open Forest Consortium wrote:
Hey Sylvia,

I asked Kotra to hold off on sending out this week's meetup message until we had a chance to ponder a new meetup spot. Then this afternoon, I ran into my pal, Hil Occupy, who's got things going over at Our School and got to thinking that maybe we can set up regular Wednesday teach-ins there. What do you think? (And what do you also think, Kotra?)

Relevant Links:

Our School Calendar
http://ourschoolportland.org/Calendar%202012/March2012.html

Wiki Workgroup (Kotra, please consider joining this group so we can make you an admin.)
http://www.portlandgeneralassembly.org/groups/wiki-workgroup/

Maybe we can start by recruiting from the Wiki Workgroup.

Hope all's well!

-dave
--
- Dave Myers
(503) 852-1437 / google voice

--
- Dave Myers
(503) 852-1437 / google voice

Dave Myers

Mar 5, 2012, 12:40:46 PM3/5/12
to PortlandWiki | A City Wiki For Portland, Oregon
Hey Kotra!

Wanted to reply here to summarize the email reply I just sent you and
Sylvia, now that I realize I failed to copy the response to this list.

Sylvia noted that Our School is spearheaded by some of the former
Occupy Portland Library folks, and officially "resides" at the Occupy
office at St. Francis. Sylvia wants to know what the wifi situation is
there, and I committed to checking at some point today to find out if
wifi is available. If the space is available on Wednesday evenings,
and wifi is also switched on, I'd like to propose that we begin
lurking around the Occupy office, trying to lure others into becoming
involved--yea obsessed!-- with PortlandWiki.

Regarding a more casual meetup, I like the impromptu meetups we have
at Ace Hotel on Mondays. Mainly because it appeals to my ingrained
sloth, lack of organization and the fact that our conversations tend
towards lame jokes and pointless silliness. I vote to keep that
rollin'.

My one and a half cents.

-dave

On Mar 4, 9:02 pm, Kotra D <kotra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting idea, Dave! This is the first I'd heard of "Our School"...
> does it have a consistent location for people to have meetings? Does the
> location have wifi?
>
> I'm not sure if a teach-in is something we could organize by this coming
> Wednesday. Perhaps we could spend some time this Wednesday planning it,
> if we all agree it's something to spend our Wednesdays with? Also, I
> think this sort of thing might be better to do monthly; I doubt we'd
> have a large enough crowd for weekly teach-ins, or the volunteer ability
> to prepare in advance.
>
> Could we do something that's more like our current meetings some of the
> time, either on other Wednesdays, or an additional day like Mondays? I
> value the more casual, unstructured meetings as well.
>
> kotra
>
> On 12-03-04 06:59 PM, Dave Myers - Open Forest Consortium wrote:
>

> > Sounds great!
>
> > On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Kotra D <kotra...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:kotra...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     Dave, do you mind if I continue this discussion (including your
> >     original post) in public on the mailing list, at
> >     portla...@googlegroups.com <mailto:portla...@googlegroups.com>?
>
> >     On 12-03-04 04:41 PM, Dave Myers - Open Forest Consortium wrote:
>
> >         Hey Sylvia,
>
> >         I asked Kotra to hold off on sending out this week's meetup
> >         message until we had a chance to ponder a new meetup spot.
> >         Then this afternoon, I ran into my pal, Hil Occupy, who's got
> >         things going over at Our School and got to thinking that maybe
> >         we can set up regular Wednesday teach-ins there. What do you
> >         think? (And what do you also think, Kotra?)
>
> >         Relevant Links:
>
> >         Our School Calendar
> >        http://ourschoolportland.org/Calendar%202012/March2012.html
>
> >         Wiki Workgroup (Kotra, please consider joining this group so
> >         we can make you an admin.)
> >        http://www.portlandgeneralassembly.org/groups/wiki-workgroup/
>
> >         Maybe we can start by recruiting from the Wiki Workgroup.
>
> >         Hope all's well!
>
> >         -dave
> >         --
> >         - Dave Myers
> >        (503) 852-1437<tel:%28503%29%20852-1437> / google voice

Kotra D

Mar 6, 2012, 4:27:28 AM3/6/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave for checking the place out. I think if those criteria are
met, it will be a great place to meet, have teach-ins, or both.

I'd like to offer some pushback against using Ace Hotel for the more
casual meetings. It's a nice place with a good vibe, but since it's up a
flight or two of stairs with no elevator, it's not an accessible space
for many people. For just the impromptu hangouts me and Dave have, I
think it's ok, but if it's for meetings where we want to reach out to
more people, I'd like to meet in a place where anyone who wants to can
attend.

Not sure of any better places... I'll look for some more locations
tomorrow when I'm a little fresher.

kotra

Kotra D

Mar 7, 2012, 7:23:28 PM3/7/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Where are we meeting up today? I know Dave doesn't want to default to
the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne...

We could do the Red & Black Cafe in SE. They have no events scheduled on
their website for tonight, but they've surprised us in the past. If they
do tonight, we could just walk a couple blocks to the Three Friends Cafe.

Or, Dave have you found out of they have wifi at Our School? We could
try that if it does.

If nobody else weighs in before 6:30, I think we should default to Lucky
Lab, since at least we know it will work (despite being noisy).

kotra

Dave Myers

Mar 7, 2012, 7:53:17 PM3/7/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for checking in, Kotra.

Somehow I thought that we collectively decided that we were going to meet up at the Lucky Lab this week and talk about Our School and other possible venues. Why don't we default to LL since it's so late in the day?

Regarding wifi at St. Francis -- I still haven't confirmed that yet. Sorry.

-dave myers

[...]

Kotra D

Mar 7, 2012, 8:41:53 PM3/7/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that works for me. Let's meet at the Lucky Lab on SE Hawthorne then, at 7pm.

No problem about the wifi. We'll get it figured out.
-dave myers