Meetings the week of March 18-24

Kotra D

Mar 19, 2012, 7:41:44 PM3/19/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, Dave and I checked out Our School and the Occupy "offices" at the St Francis of Assisi Church (1131 SE Oak) last week (http://ourschoolportland.org/) and found it to be pretty good for meetings, especially for working with local activists. It's a very interesting space, unlike any I've seen; it's worth checking out even just to see what it's like.

Accessibility seems mediocre but there... a ramp in the back, no steps absolutely necessary as far as I could tell. Bathrooms unknown... forgot to check them out.

Unfortunately, our regular Wednesday meeting time of 7pm (or thereabouts) was not available, as the only wifi-reliable place there has the Occupy Radical Caucus meeting at that time. So, we bit the bullet and scheduled Monday evenings (7pm-8:45pm), since that was an old meeting time that seemed to work for people.

Therefore: This Monday (today), we'll meet at the Our School offices at 7pm. No agenda has been suggested for today's meetup (perhaps you could work something up Dave?); we'll probably default to an ad-hoc work & chat session about PortlandWiki. If you have trouble finding the place, feel free to call me (kotra) at 503 206 1305.

Wednesday: I suggest we either scrap this meeting (since we're doing Mondays), or have it at 7pm at the Lucky Labrador on SE Hawthorne, as before. All proposals are welcome.

kotra

David Myers

Mar 21, 2012, 2:42:07 PM3/21/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I'm going to drop out of our weekly meetups for a few weeks to focus on working on PortlandWiki improvements from my desk. Some of the more complicated template creation and page building is much easier to do from my workstation than it is on my netbook.

Later this spring, it would be nice to focus on outreach again -- getting more folks involved with PortlandWiki. Suggestions? Ideas?

Kind regards,

-dave myers

Kotra D

Mar 21, 2012, 7:29:51 PM3/21/12
to portla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Dave. Totally understood.

Like you, I think I'm going to focus on improving the site usability and appearance for a while, as opposed to outreach (which I've never been particularly good at). But like you, I'll get back in the swing of things meetup-wise later this spring. I'll post here whenever I have ideas.

Until then, I'll still gladly attend any meetups and events others want to set up!

kotra

kotra

Mar 22, 2012, 12:48:43 PM3/22/12
to PortlandWiki | A City Wiki For Portland, Oregon
I forgot to provide an update on the Our School meetup. We met there
on Monday and someone at Info had given our scheduled slot to the GA
agenda planning group - moving us to the library. Unfortunately, the
library had very spotty (mostly down) wifi, as we had been warned
earlier, and was far away from the rest of the Occupy activity. This
defeated the purpose of us meeting at Our School: to meet and
collaborate with the Occupy and activist community, and to show people
and work on PortlandWiki (impossible without wifi). So that meeting
didn't work.

Also, I feel I should amend what I said about accessibility. On
Monday, when I tried to get in through the back entrance (the only
entrance with a ramp), it was locked. There was also no one around to
let people in wheelchairs in, or people who otherwise have difficulty
with stairs. In addition, the area we were moved to, the library room,
has some steps to get up to and no elevator, so is completely
inaccessible. So Our School and the Occupy HQ are for the most part
inaccessible... which is very unfortunate as Occupy's purpose is to
give voice and ability to the suppressed, and many who are physically
disabled want to help if given the chance. I'm convinced that these
problems could be fixed relatively easily without having to move to
another location.

All of the above are reasons why we won't be having our main meetups
at Our School in the future. We are considering if we can meet up at
the Portland Occupier offices, though: 105 N Killingsworth Street.

kotra