Building the agenda for the 4/28 Meeting

1 view

Dawn Foster

Apr 13, 2009, 2:13:21 PM4/13/09
to Portland Data Plumbing
Rumors of our demise have been exaggerated. We'll be having the next
Plumbing meeting as scheduled on 4/28th. Details and RSVPs here:
http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2123569/

I'm open to suggestions for specific topics - it would also be great
if you could suggest someone to lead the discussion that you propose.
Keep in mind that the topics should be related to Yahoo Pipes or other
RSS data manipulation techniques.

Thanks,
Dawn

AdamD

Apr 13, 2009, 2:27:03 PM4/13/09
to Portland Data Plumbing
At the last meeting Alex Williams (PodcastHotel) showed me tarpipe,
which he used for NotAtSXSW. It takes data from one or more inputs and
outputs it to one or more social sites. Alex claimed that Nate DiNiro
knew more about it. I think either of those guys would be good
candidates to talk about tarpipe.

brian walsh

Apr 13, 2009, 3:05:40 PM4/13/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if folks have solutions for lenient parsing of rss &
atom. There are a lot of feeds out there that display in the
browser,but have basic XML validation problems...

Leif Warner

Apr 13, 2009, 6:41:48 PM4/13/09
to Portland Data Plumbing
Run them through something like tagsoup first to clean up the XML?
XProc could do a conditional document retrieval, then run it through
tagsoup as a backup:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/#example-try

On Apr 13, 12:05 pm, brian walsh <br...@bwalsh.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if folks have solutions for lenient parsing of rss &
> atom.  There are a lot of feeds out there that display in the
> browser,but have basic XML  validation problems...

Nathan DiNiro

Apr 13, 2009, 8:27:06 PM4/13/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Alex's claims were true! I'd be happy to talk a little Tarpipe

EM: uncl...@gmail.com
TW: @unclenate
PH: 503-449-9943

Alex Williams

Apr 13, 2009, 8:29:32 PM4/13/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Nate is the man. I can show a few things I am doing with tarpipe for local restaurants, too.
--
Alex Williams
http://alexhwilliams.com

Dawn Foster

Apr 13, 2009, 9:26:27 PM4/13/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Nate,

Consider yourself volunteered to give us an overview of Tarpipe at the next meeting. How much time do you think you'll need and can you send me a sentence or 2 to describe it for the Upcoming description / blog post?

Thanks!
Dawn

Nathan DiNiro

Apr 15, 2009, 6:03:36 AM4/15/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Probably would need anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes. I'm thinking a quick orientation to get productive using Tarpipe's email capability, show some of the monitoring benefits that "Tarpiping" (?) offers. I won't go in too deeply into the REST API, but I'll briefly touch upon it.

Cheers!

EM: uncl...@gmail.com
TW: @unclenate
PH: 503-449-9943

Bram Pitoyo

Apr 15, 2009, 6:22:29 AM4/15/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Earlier in the evening, @pdxleif told me that he recently had a WireIt
GUI front-end hooked up to a Yahoo!Pipes-like scripting language.

I’m not sure if he’s in this mailing list, but I proposed for him to
demo it at the next meeting.

(Hi Nate. I’m also still up on afterhours.)

–Bram

Leif Warner

Apr 28, 2009, 6:22:44 PM4/28/09
to Portland Data Plumbing
That language is XProc, a W3C Candidate Recommendation language for
pipelining XML processes... which I thought might be a good fit, as
the feeds and web pages come as XML.
I was thinking a Yahoo Pipes-like vocabulary could be put together as
a user library of steps (boxes) wrapping the XProc steps in this; many
steps already look like the Pipes equivalent (e.g. count, filter,
loop, rename, load, etc...).

A little overview on XProc:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xproc/

There's no "Run" button yet, but there's a gui to play around with
here:
http://neyric.com/~neyric/WireIt-0.5.0a/examples/xproc/
or here:
http://xslt.portlanddatasystems.com/wireit/examples/XProc/

I doubt I'll have the "Run" button on the GUI implemented by tonight,
but I could run and walk through an example pipeline if people are
interested.
-Leif Warner

On Apr 15, 3:22 am, Bram Pitoyo <brampit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier in the evening, @pdxleif told me that he recently had a WireIt
> GUI front-end hooked up to a Yahoo!Pipes-like scripting language.
>
> I’m not sure if he’s in this mailing list, but I proposed for him to
> demo it at the next meeting.
>
> (Hi Nate. I’m also still up on afterhours.)
>
> –Bram
>
> On Apr 15, 2009, at 3:03 AM, Nathan DiNiro wrote:
>
> > Probably would need anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes. I'm thinking
> > a quick orientation to get productive using Tarpipe's email
> > capability, show some of the monitoring benefits that
> > "Tarpiping" (?) offers. I won't go in too deeply into the REST API,
> > but I'll briefly touch upon it.
>
> > Cheers!
>
> > EM: unclen...@gmail.com
> > TW: @unclenate
> > PH: 503-449-9943
>
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Dawn Foster
> > <geekygirld...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nate,
>
> > Consider yourself volunteered to give us an overview of Tarpipe at
> > the next meeting. How much time do you think you'll need and can you
> > send me a sentence or 2 to describe it for the Upcoming
> > description / blog post?
>
> > Thanks!
> > Dawn
>
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Nathan DiNiro <unclen...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > Alex's claims were true! I'd be happy to talk a little Tarpipe
>
> > EM: unclen...@gmail.com
> > TW: @unclenate
> > PH: 503-449-9943

Bill Jackson

Apr 28, 2009, 6:56:18 PM4/28/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, let's do it!  Want to run through it on the big screen after Nate's talk?

Subject: [pdpug] Re: Building the agenda for the 4/28 Meeting
Date: 2009-04-28 3:22:44 PM -0700
From: Leif Warner <abim...@gmail.com>
To: Portland Data Plumbing <portland-da...@googlegroups.com>

Leif Warner

Apr 28, 2009, 8:44:37 PM4/28/09
to Portland Data Plumbing
Sure!
Though, would I be able to borrow someone's laptop? I haven't gotten
the alternate video out figured out on mine just yet...
Just need a web browsers, and... Calabash, the XProc interpreter needs
a Java runtime.
-Leif

On Apr 28, 3:56 pm, Bill Jackson <bill.jack...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Yeah, let's do it!  Want to run through it on the big screen after Nate's talk?Subject:[pdpug] Re: Building the agenda for the 4/28 MeetingDate:2009-04-28 3:22:44 PM -0700From:Leif Warner<abim...@gmail.com>To:Portland Data Plumbing<portland-da...@googlegroups.com>That language is XProc, a W3C Candidate Recommendation language for pipelining XML processes... which I thought might be a good fit, as the feeds and web pages come as XML. I was thinking a Yahoo Pipes-like vocabulary could be put together as a user library of steps (boxes) wrapping the XProc steps in this; many steps already look like the Pipes equivalent (e.g. count, filter, loop, rename, load, etc...). A little overview on XProc:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xproc/There's no "Run" button yet, but there's a gui to play around with here:http://neyric.com/~neyric/WireIt-0.5.0a/examples/xproc/or here:http://xslt.portlanddatasystems.com/wireit/examples/XProc/I doubt I'll have the "Run" button on the GUI implemented by tonight, but I could run and walk through an example pipeline if people are interested. -Leif Warner

Bram Pitoyo

Apr 28, 2009, 8:48:46 PM4/28/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I believe you can borrow somebody’s laptop at the meetup. Not sure
about Calabash, though...

–Bram

On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Leif Warner wrote:

> Sure!
> Though, would I be able to borrow someone's laptop? I haven't gotten
> the alternate video out figured out on mine just yet...
> Just need a web browsers, and... Calabash, the XProc interpreter needs
> a Java runtime.
> -Leif
>
> On Apr 28, 3:56 pm, Bill Jackson <bill.jack...@oracle.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, let's do it! Want to run through it on the big screen after
>> Nate's talk?Subject:[pdpug] Re: Building the agenda for the 4/28
>> MeetingDate:2009-04-28 3:22:44 PM -0700From:Leif Warner<abim...@gmail.com
>> >To:Portland Data Plumbing<portland-data-
>> plum...@googlegroups.com>That language is XProc, a W3C Candidate

Nathan DiNiro

Apr 28, 2009, 8:52:12 PM4/28/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Mine's already hooked up and working... ;)

EM: uncl...@gmail.com
TW: @unclenate
PH: 503-449-9943